Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
243 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 243

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Machinist Tools/Measuring Tools
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Many years ago, when I was "turning wrenches" for a living, I found that the most common use for a dial indicator (in the auto repair business) was for checking/setting the backlash for the rear end ring and pinion setup. It can also be used to check for bends in items like pushrods, throttle shafts, etc., but that's usually easier done by rolling them on a piece of glass.
John

Posted on: 2009/5/31 22:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe most Studebakers also required the use of one to "dial in" the bellhousing. Their manuals always cautioned that not using one would result in short clutch life or other dire consequences.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 22:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
The base holding the dial indicator is called a surface gauge should not be magnetic the indicator appears to be a Starrett last word indicator which would be on the face of the indicator should have about .030 total indicator travel. Just as a note when I was a machinist apprentice 40 plus years ago we were required to buy are own personal tools and they were required to be Starrett , Lufkin or Brown and Sharp no other brands were allowed.http://www.mcmaster.com/#surface-gauges/=24lko2 (page 2243)
Also noticed that a lot of the hand measuring tools have little paper stickers on them which I assume are calibration stickers required periodically by most large companies to insure the tools are reading correct values. Just a little added useless information

Posted on: 2009/6/1 9:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have all of my father's precision measuring tools, and taps and dies. I have used some of them from time to time, but will never sell them. The sentimental value exceeds anything I could get for them monetarily.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 9:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved