Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 206

Ross, Packard Don, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: twin-ultamatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
the kit has the trans to engine adapter, the packard flywheel to chrystler flexplate adapter, and the required links for the shifter and t/v on the chrysler.

mike, they were available earlier than that! i already pulled one from a salvage truck!

Posted on: 2009/6/9 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
what exactly? overdrive? Not in the heavy dutys! that started in 92 or maybe 91.5

There may have been a light duty overdrive, and i know there was a light duty gasser only unit with a lockup converter, but since were talking about very powerful engines, i was referring only to heavy duty units.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 18:43
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
no not a hd., p/u trucks. and if your gonna build the thing, any GOOD trany shop can taylor it to what ever you want.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 18:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
Absolutely! I bought the 1993 in my signature for a number of reasons, but a big one was that it was equipped with overdrive. My old 1991 did not, and she was really wound out on the highway!

Posted on: 2009/6/9 18:51
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Car
See User information
Thanks for all the inoput...I would rather just repair the Gear start twin...however there is no one around here who has even heard of it...having said that; the transmission has been rebuilt and does not shift correctly warm, it wil be late to up shift and I am looking for a temporary install while that is sorted out..

I suppose I will have to figure it out

Cheers all!

Posted on: 2009/6/9 21:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If only when warm, then sounds like a worn bushing didn't get replaced. If both cold to some extent and warm, then check the throttle linkage adjustments carefully--actually, a good idea to check adjustments anyway and reference the later service counselors for the procedure..

Posted on: 2009/6/9 21:33
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Car
See User information
OK so I adjusted the mechanical linkage exactly how the manual says, I was not getting an upshift from D' ...so I adjusted my valve body throttle valve screw with information from PP.

Now for the first time in 20 years this car is upshting!!

However it has a slight rattle type noise from the front pum/torque converter area....any ideas guys?

Posted on: 2009/6/11 6:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I believe there was one correction to the shop manual WRT to the throttle (valve) linkage, plus other variations and additional checks specified in Service Counselor and/or Service Technical Bulletin.

No mattter what aspect of the car you are working on, after reviewing the shop manual, be sure to check this website's Packard Service Index feature.

As for noise, if you are sure it is coming from the front of the transmission, I'd suggest removing the lower cover to inspect the flywhell/flexplate screws. If you haven't done so already, that might be a good time to drain and refill the trans fluid - including the converter. If you remove the spark plugs from the engine, you'll find it easier to rotate the converter and access both of its drain plugs.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 7:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the rattle ONLY happens during the transition to direct drive, then that is most likely the DD clutch slipping a bit when engaging--somewhat normal on trans with old hardened clutch plates not used much. When it comes time for shift point, let up on accelerator while it shifts and if noise not present or greatly diminished, that is problem and some driving, possibly use of the trick shift fluid or in worst case, new clutch disk will probably make it go away. If the rattle is there all the time, then I'd check for something loose.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 7:38
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Car
See User information
What type of transmission fluid is best for theses transmision? Type A packard stuff is listed, however some transmission used type F after 1961.....waht are you guys usinjg..?

Also i Have all the service bulleitns etc..for this car

Posted on: 2009/6/11 7:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved