Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 167

BigKev, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

11th series Packard on German Wikipedia
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
A short article in the German Wikipedia about the history of the marque shows the picture of a beautiful 1934 Packard convertible sedan:

Caption reads "1934 Packard Convertible"

Additional info is that the car was photographed 11th July, 2005 at the Bay State Antique Automobile Club's show at the Endicott Estate in Dedham, MA.

I am quite sure that it is not a Twelve (smaller hub caps), but then, I am not sure. Eight? Super Eight?

I wonder how I can distinguish these series (my eyes are not good enough to do that by wheelbase length )

The link to the article in GermanWikipedia:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packard_(Automobilhersteller)

Attach file:

jpg  (147.32 KB)
80_4a55eae90ece7.jpg 986X725 px

Posted on: 2009/7/9 8:06
 Top  Print   

Re: 11th series Packard on German Wikipedia
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Based on the bumper end-caps it's neither a Twelve nor an Eight; vee'd headlamp lenses rule out an Eight. That plus the hubcaps says it's a Super Eight. It has the radiator shell/shutter treatment that was standard for a Twelve (painted shell/chrome shutters) but for a few $ any model could have any of the 3 different treatments. Standard treatment for the Eight was a chrome shell and painted shutters; Super Eight was chrome shell and shutters, and the Twelve was painted shell (to create the long hood illusion) and chrome shutters. The Twelve had the very large hydraulic dampeners at the bumper ends; the Eight had a small curl and decorate thru-bolt, and the Super Eight had a slightly larger but similar arrangement to the Eight. Hubcaps are the same size on all 3 series (except for the wood or steel disc wheel option) but the Twelve of course has cloisonne and not paint.

Twelve wheels are also different, spokes with threaded nipples instead of simple shrunk non-adjustable spokes, and the Twelve wheels also mount a larger tire (7:50 x 17 rather than 7:00 x 17) and have a rolled bead rather than a simple bead. Twelves also had "blue dot" tail light lenses.

There are other differences as well but these things should all help you to distinguish an Eight from a Super Eight from a Twelve without a tape measure or opening the hood.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 8:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Laferriere
See User information
I will be at this show is coming Sunday with Camera in pocket. Its a very nice, one of three I attend.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 8:24
Tom Laferriere - Smithfield, RI

1934 Packard 1104 Touring
1939 Packard 120 Coupe (in family since 1970)

PH: 401.651.2295
Web: www.tomlaferriere.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
That looks like a Super Eight I know, it's on his card but I won't post his name w/out his permission.

Owen...I hate to be picky but the 12 hubs are substantially larger and of course require larger diameter caps. There's only one model, the LeBaron Speedster, that used the Eight/Super Eight wheel and they afixed a 12 cloisenne' to the center of the 6 cap. I always figured this was a result of the 1103 chassis used by LeBaron to build this car. The V-12 fit the Super 8 engine compartment of the 1103 and they kept the smaller hubs wheels, drums, etc.

Posted on: 2009/7/19 21:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

gunnison
See User information
The vehicle pictured is an Eleventh Series Super Eight Model 1104 convertible sedan, a well known New England Packard that resides in eastern Massachusetts.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 5:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Owen...I hate to be picky but the 12 hubs are substantially larger and of course require larger diameter caps.

Thanks for correcting me on that detail, it had escaped my memory.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 7:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved