Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 199

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gas tank-Patch or Replace?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kamstilla
See User information
Recently I sprang a leak in my gas tank. Would it be cheaper to have it patched ( its a small hole half the size of a pea) or should I try to get it replaced? If so can someone suggest a gas tank that would fit or do i need to order one?

Posted on: 2009/7/23 16:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Gas tank-Patch or Replace?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Chris
See User information
Funny you brought this up. I went outside this morning to go to work and saw gas leaking from my tank too. Good thing there is only a gallon or so of gas in it. I'm going to try to patch it because I don't know of anywhere that sells re-pop 48-50 tanks.
-Chris

Posted on: 2009/7/24 13:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Cosmetics not withstanding, you could try soldering an old (but clean) solid copper penny (NOT the copper-plated zinc slugs made since 1983) over the hole - provided the surrounding metal is solid (and clean).

Now, you can't use an open flame for this work unless you can eliminate all the gasoline vapor and/or oxygen from the tank and work area. However, Weller used to make some fairly high-wattage electrical soldering irons.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 14:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If the leak is due to rust perforation then most likely the problem is A LOT BIGGER. When u try to solder or press the sealer onto the leak then the metal will either collapse into a larger hole or will disentigrate when the heat hits it.

Need more info. Is it rust hole or what????? Where is the leak????

Posted on: 2009/7/24 15:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
my preferred method is to clean the outer bottom surface very well. then fiber-glass the whole bottom section of the tank. clean the inside very well and seal it with a good gas tank sealer. when done, coat the outside on the bottom with a good spray bed liner to give the 'glass some protection.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 17:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
Just reinstalled my tank after it was cleaned patched and coated by my local radiator shop. Cost me $225 but the tank is now guarenteed for life. Raleigh NC Area

Posted on: 2009/7/25 18:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved