Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 226

Caribbeandude, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Manual control of torsion-level system,
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
Hello all,

When I was in USA 2006 I saw a 1955 Patrician who was equipped with manual control of torsion level system.Sometimes I wonder where item like that could be found ?

Posted on: 2009/7/27 18:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Manual control of torsion-level system,
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The switch and install detail is in Service counselor July 56, Vol 30 # 7. Max Merritt has the kits. If you are not particular about the real deal, you can also modify an antenna up down switch, and there are some commercial switches that can also be adapted. The original kit switch is one that when moved, stays in the manual up or down position and keeps the system energized until limit switch is activated.

The entire arrangement is just a matter of connecting a manually controlled ground so it is in parallel to the existing output of the compensator switch while disconnecting the circuit thru the compensator so that doesn't energize when manual is desired. The schematic is in the 56 version below but easily adapted to the 55 although a stock 55 will have some minor wiring differences.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.21 KB)
209_4a6e349a8fabc.jpg 1084X83 px

jpg  (26.77 KB)
209_4a6e34a212d1d.jpg 645X484 px

jpg  (112.23 KB)
209_4a6e351a051b8.jpg 1015X1280 px

Posted on: 2009/7/27 18:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Since u have a clipper then there is a delete bezel on each side of dash????? I used an antenna sw on my 56 Exec in the left middle position to control my TL. But i disconnected the automatic control part of it completely.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 20:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have the Packard switch installed in both my 400 and Caribbean. I did modify the switch internally to eliminate the "stops" at either end setting, and added small springs so that the switch returns to the center position when released. It works very well in this fashion. I installed it so it is in plain sight yet disguised as a switch. It has worked very well for more than ten years in my 400 as BH can testify. O-D said he hates it when someone is sneakier than him I bought those switches for $10.00 a piece before Max knew what they were used for and copied the wiring harness from the Service Counselor illustration. The SC is also where I discovered that the switch existed.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 21:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
Why is installing a manual over-ride a good idea. What are the pro's and con's.

Posted on: 2009/8/2 17:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Pros are from the official Packard reasoning plus makes changing a rear tire easier--and it's also a neat wow feature at the local cruise. Cons would be negligible if the level system is in proper order & you didn't wear something out or drain the battery showing it off.

Attach file:

jpg  (7.62 KB)
209_4a7618c37e93b.jpg 362X103 px

Posted on: 2009/8/2 17:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
It does make sense and I seem to remember reading a SB about using a sw when changing a rear tire. I was just wondering if you left the sw in manual (say up) and the limit sw should fail, that could be a problem, no?

Posted on: 2009/8/2 18:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If either limit switch failed, it would be a large problem-yes. On several damaged units I've seen, it seems the deed is done and splines sheared before the fuse even thinks about blowing.

Posted on: 2009/8/2 18:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Hi,

I got the kit from Max Merritt but have not installed it yet. A friend put one on his 400 and it works well.

Gene

Posted on: 2009/8/15 7:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have had one on my 400 for years and it works well. As HH56 says it's a WOW at the car cruises for people not familiar with Packard.
Now, a question. Although I have heard this repeated for years, has anyone actual first-hand experience with the battery going dead from repeated use of the T/L system? I have demonstrated mine at length and never had it drain the battery to the point where the car didn't start. I'm beginning to think this is an old wives tale. Urban legend?

Posted on: 2009/8/15 8:56
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved