Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 225

dallas, humanpotatohybrid, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: New to Packard (55 Clipper Super) plz help
Just popping in
Just popping in

Mke
See User information
I'm not sure if I'm listing this in the right place or not. If not plz let me know where I should list these types of question.

First off I want to share how much I love this car already. Not to mention how many other people do too. With in five minutes of bring it home there was a neighbor that had to come over and take a picture of it and told me all about how there dad used to own one. I took it to the store down the block, after I fix the over heating issue (turns out that not only was the timing WAY off (16 deg instead of the 6 deg it should be) it had a bad thermostat too. I still cant go to far or fast for that matter, since there's some bake issues that still needs work) and as I was trying to leave I was stoped four time with questions of who made the clipper and how much the loved the lines.

Okay to the issue at hand. I have read a lot of the posts for the power brakes in these old Packards and I understand that some people do not like the single cylinder that they have. Although, I would like to keep this car as original as I can, I accept the fact that when it comes to this particular issue it might be best to customize. I would however like to give the old system one last chance to prove itself.

I've had MC go bad before in the past on my '65 plymouth which gave me the same result. Although bleeding the system might have help a little bit (very little) it seem the pressure bleeds away when steeping on the breaks. It doesn't happen all the time and some times I about crap my pants when pumping them barely works. Needless to say it will sit till I can fix this issue.

With that said, I'm not sure if the problem is in the power booster or in the hydraulics; I'm thinking it's the latter of the two. I plan on trying to find a place where I can get the parts to rebuild the MC but, I would like to have a back up plane just in case. If I have to mod I would like to make it as unnoticeable as possible. So I'm wondering has anyone found a good mod (with picture plz)that would fit in the original place with no need to cut.

Posted on: 2009/8/20 23:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
Since the rebuild kits for the T/V do not include the compensator valve spring, probably the safest thing to do is to send it to Ed Strain in Pinellas Park, Florida He rebuilds the dreaded T/V and replaces that spring.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 0:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To my knowledge, no one has successfully done a mod in the original location for 2 reasons.

The clearance between the steering column, frame, and assorted items in the original location means very little available today will fit and the modern units that seem to be available require a 3 or 4 to one pedal ratio.

Located low in the original location, the ratio is 1:1 and too great a pedal effort is required. Craig found a unit some time ago that fits the original location with no mods but in use turned out to be not satisfactory. He had to modify pedal support so the ratio was better.

There have been some adaptions of a modern unit up higher using the air vent hole to get the required ratio but that means some mods to various items. Others have done very nice conversions by totally redesigning the location and supports but those are very obvious changes. There has been some speculation a modern unit with a small (less than 1") cylinder might work with the 1:1 in original location but don't believe anyone has tried.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 8:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"There has been some speculation a modern unit with a small (less than 1") cylinder might work with the 1:1 in original location but don't believe anyone has tried"

I am fully confident that it will work. Problem is that noone has discovered a cylinder with a 5/8 to 11/16" piston yet. The smallest found so far is 13/16. That has proven to require pedal ratio change.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 9:07
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Taz. IF there is no fluid leaking out of the system and onto the ground then most likely the problem is the compensator valve.

It can be removed ON CAR by removeing the master cylinder cover (IIRC six screws) Then use a 1" socket to unscrew the comp valve at the bottom of the MC reservoir.

It's a bit difficult to access due to the steering column but give it a try. The only problem is that no one has come up with a replacement yet. Check Kanter. I think they have one. Not sure if they provide a spring with it.

If u remove the entire unit from the car then be sure to check the power vacuum canister to see if it has brake fluid in it. It's not suppose to have fluid but there have been several reports of fluid in the vacuum can.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 9:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mke
See User information
Since there's no leakage from the MC I'll check out the compensator valve when I get back from FL. I'll also keep my eyes open for that needle in the hay stack cylinder with a 5/8 to 11/16" piston

Thanks for the info

Posted on: 2009/8/21 15:03
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mke
See User information
Thanks for the info.
I tried to order the rebuild kit from Kanter but they seem to believe that my problem will only be fixed by rebuilding both the MC and PB so there goes $280.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 10:50
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

beej8508
See User information
Congrats to another Spokanite with a Packard! I am having my brakes rebuilt, on my 55 Patrician, as I write this.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 14:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
"Thanks for the info.
I tried to order the rebuild kit from Kanter but they seem to believe that my problem will only be fixed by rebuilding both the MC and PB so there goes $280".

NewJerseyTaz....

Well worth the expenditure. There is a lot that I am physically and technically able to do on my cars, but I sleep easier at night and drive more comfortably during the day when safety items, like brakes, are done by people that are more experienced than I in working on these items.

Ed Strain has rebuilt all three of my MC's and I plan to send him a couple of cores that I have to rebuild just so I have spares around.

Good Luck on your car

ALK

Posted on: 2009/10/15 7:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved