Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
259 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 258

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New to Packard (55 Clipper Super) plz help
Just popping in
Just popping in

Mke
See User information
Hello
I just bought my Packard and I have a few questions.

There's something wrong with the brakes (actually it sounds like one of them has lost a pad), I've checked the front one and they're good but I'm uncertain how to remove my rear drums. I'm not new to working on cars but I've never worked on something this old and do not want to mess anything up since parts are so hard to find.

This brings me to my next question ...parts... I've found a few sites but I have no idea which ones should be trusted. What sites do you suggest?

Is there are place online that I might be able to download a shop manual? I've checked this site but only found a parts manual, maybe I missed it.

Also is there a way I can trouble shoot my radio? It lights up when I turn it on but no sound comes out. I checked under the dash and the two tubes are working (well they light up atleast) but I have no idea what to make of the rest of this odd contraption.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as time goes on but for now this is it.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 2:40
 Top  Print   

Re: New to Packard (55 Clipper Super) plz help
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SB-344.pdf

that has a small amount of info....

Wait till one of owners of the later models gets on here....probably need a wheel puller to get them off.

Welcome.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 3:39
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information

Posted on: 2009/8/17 3:45
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
newjerseytaz wrote: Hello I just bought my Packard and I have a few questions......

G'day newjerseytaz,
Like to add my to PackardInfo to that of John. And as John said, when the V8 guys check in should get some answers then.

And a request to you please. Could you include your '55 Clipper Super in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2009/8/17 3:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Rear brakes: yes, you need a wheel puller to get the rear drums off. You can rent these from some auto parts stores or the bigger rental stores. Sometimes, you need a big lever and a BFH to get them off. Sometimes you break the puller instead. A definite PITA and safety precautions are required (safety glasses and stand back and to the side). There's probably a thread on here somewhere about it. Try the search function.

In 1956, Packard changed to a Dana rear end (like a Ford or a Jeep), where the rear drums slide off the studs by hand.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/8/17 4:00
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Something like this will do the job. Couple different styles out there but they're similar to this one.

Attach file:

jpg  (149.25 KB)
1470_4a8945e30d9d8.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/8/17 6:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the radio, since it is lighting up, you should also hear a buzzing sound from the radio as soon as you turn it on assuming the stock vibrator is still there. If converted to solid state, may be polarity sensitive so make sure battery is connected properly with positive ground in 55. If OK, about the only things you can check are the antenna connection and the speaker connections.

The antenna is a round black wire connected to the antenna tube near the top just under fender edge, goes thru rubber piece in firewall and plugs into back of radio part in middle of dash. Make sure it is there & not damaged. If it looks OK, there are a couple of other checks that can be made but need a meter to do. The simplest check is get another antenna or a cheap universal one from radio shack & substitute to rule out a problem.

The speaker is on the unit with the tubes you can see and is the single wire running up the back plugged into a transformer. The socket is hard to see and for that reason, can be loosened and the wire might not be connected. If you have a rear seat speaker, there will be a wire from the speaker switch plugged in there instead and the speaker plugged into another wire coming from switch. Make sure a wire has not been pulled out as it's easy to do if someone has been feeling around back there.

If everything looks good so far, then most likely you will need to have it serviced.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 8:18
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For the rear brakes, if you look at the my project blog, you will see a series of step by step photos of me removing the rear brakes and backing plates on my '54 Clipper . Virtually the same as the '55.

Start here:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=19369#forumpost19369

Also all the Service Manuals and Parts Manuals for the Post-War Packard and most of the Pre-War Packards are available here on the website.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 11:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mke
See User information
I wanted to thank everyone that responded to my post. I was able to remove my rear hubs by renting a front wheel drive hub puller from AutoZone. It wasn't a perfect fit but it did the job.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 1:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
And for including your '55 Clipper Super Touring Sedan in the Registry. Looks a good buy.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 3:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved