Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 201

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Overheating.... Alot!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Martin
See User information
Well, I'm having problems with my 53, The car since I raised her from the dead has been running after turning it off and recently has been overflowing and getting hot while idoling. The car had sat 7 years before I got her started...I haven't converted to a 12 volt either. Any Info? Thanks you guys

Posted on: 2009/9/4 17:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Overheating.... Alot!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would think everything on this thread is applicable and would be a good starting place.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=35678#forumpost35678 With sitting for a lot of years, any and all could be a problem.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 17:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I found this link interesting. It involved a fella with a '53.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Classic-Antique-Car-2542/2009/7/1953-Packard-Overheating-Bad-1.htm

Posted on: 2009/9/4 18:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Carb bowl VENT is plugged up.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 18:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Pull the water pump and have it rebuilt by Arthur Goulds; they can do a fast turn around and have experience that is required for your water pump.

I called Arthur goulds, 90 bucks to rebuild my 1952 water pump

Technical support is offered Monday - Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (CST).

Shipping Address:
5R Main Street
Kings Park N.Y. 11754
Phone : (631) 269-0093

http://www.arthurgouldrebuilders.com/index.htm

While the block is off, flush the water distributing tube, and if you can pull it out (careful!) and pull some of the freeze plugs to really clean out the inside of the motor. I found a lot of garbage in my water jacket when I pulled my 52 apart.

Click here to see BigKev's water distributing tube and how he cleaned it. Here's the page before with even more detail.

Also check this thread.

Bring your radiator into a local radiator shop and ask them to analyze it. They'll at least clean it up and give you an idea on the cost to repair if necessary.

If you flush the block, rebuild the water pump and have the radiator professionally cleaned you'll be in business.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 21:42
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Well, I'm having problems with my 53, The car since I raised her from the dead has been running after turning it off and recently has been overflowing and getting hot while idoling.

After you shut it off and it cools a bit so you can get the radiator cap off how far down is the water level? Do you top it off and go again with the same result? What happens if you don't add water and heat it up again? does it continue to boil over?

I think it's normal for a car to run hotter when left to idle especially on a hot day.

After I top mine off and drive it and then shut it down on a hot day it always dumps out some water. I don't top it off again. After it dumps the top 1 or 2 inches of water out it stops loosing water. It goes months and months without the need to add water.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 0:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Water distribution tubes were used by a number of inline engines back then...most auto parts stores stocked them as they were replaced fairly often due to corrosion. Nowadays they are either unknown nowadays or easily overlooked.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 0:59
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Night Owl,
Since you are having overheating problems, you might invest in a cheap ($30-40) infared thermometer. Perhaps, you can borrow one. It will allow you to take temp readings at various places on the block.

My thought is to see if the rear of the block (cyl 6-8) is running hotter than the front, or if there are hotspots. That might indicate 'water distribution' problems.

Radiator needs to be checked out as well and is the usual culprit in these things. I also changed from a 180 degree thermostat to a 160 (even running w/o one in summer.

Good Luck. Keep cool.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/9/10 8:40
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I may have missed it in the above posts. But, you might check the heat riser in the exhaust manifold. If it sticks in the closed position, overheating is a guarantee.

Posted on: 2009/9/13 19:35
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Night Owl

I concur with David (49Packard) above.
I had a heat riser stuck last summer. It basically preheats the air to the intake manifold. While that is great in cold weather, if it is stuck it does not shut off (year round). I suspect a stuck heat riser can raise engine running temp in the summer by 5 to 10 degrees (maybe more, I've not tested it).

Do a 'heat riser' search on forums/blogs to find old discussions and pictures.

Keepin' Cooler in South Dakota
DanL

Posted on: 2009/9/14 0:29
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved