Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 203

TxGoat, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 24 25 26 (27) 28 29 30 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Good idea, thanks. Now trying to think if I know anyone around here with press to do it.

Posted on: 2009/1/1 21:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Lots of the better parts stores used to have a press in the back & they would do that kind of stuff for a small fee. Maybe that was when lawyers were non existent & real parts people manned the place instead of HS kids, but possibly worth an ask at one of the older places.

Posted on: 2009/1/1 21:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Kev, I'm looking at the pictures of your restoration and I have to say that the work looks great. Your work couldn't be of any higher quality. Makes me want to go out and rip the front clip off my 51.

Posted on: 2009/1/1 21:33
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Bob,

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate that! The car has come a long way, and still have a long way to go. I am trying to get her moving (and stopping) under her own power by the end of Winter!

Posted on: 2009/1/1 23:00
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
The shaft may be a good candidate for a Speedi-Sleeve. For less than $30 you may have a good, permanent repair without paying for machine work.

Posted on: 2009/1/2 9:20
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kevin, the "slot' you referred to is the weep hole and liquid at that point indicates a leaking seal as you have already concluded. Personally, I'd send the pump to a good rebuilder like Gould and let him deal with any shaft problem but if you tackle it yourself and find you need to have a shaft made, resist the temptation to use stainless steel, it's a wonderful metal for many purposes but not for this, it surface-galls and will chew your seals. Use hardened drill rod.

Posted on: 2009/1/2 10:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave,

That was my thought to. I dont want to take it somewhere locally and have them pull it apart, and then realize that the shaft is bad, and then no will take it for a core as it's all apart.

Is Arthur Gould still operating? Also, as suggested I may call Terril and see what he charges.

I would prefer to sent it out, have them rebuild it, and send it back to me. Buying a replacement is double the cost upfront until they receive the core back.

Posted on: 2009/1/2 12:50
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, Gould is still booming with business, and I also have heard good things about Terrill though I've pretty much stuck with Gould as he's quite local. Also Kanter's has brand new pumps for some models (no core required); don't know if that interests you or not, I believe they're about $125 and made outside the US. I know of one person who bought one when he had a questionable core, and it's been just fine.

Gould Rebuilders
5R Main Street
Kings Park, NY 11754
631-269-0093

Posted on: 2009/1/2 13:22
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave,

Thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2009/1/2 18:57
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well I pulled the cursed pump off and have it set aside until I figure out where it is going to be send to for rebuild.

With that portion of the car on pause, I decided to move on to other tasks. So I decided to make up a new set of ignition wires. I had bought 1/2 spool of Packard 440 wire about a year ago off of ebay, and decided that would be a good indoor project. So I can on my couch in the warm house and cut the wire to the correct lengths, and crimped on new ends with fresh boots.

Attach file:

jpg  (78.80 KB)
1_495ead3ba7a12.jpg 1024X579 px

Posted on: 2009/1/2 19:08
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 24 25 26 (27) 28 29 30 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved