Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 239

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Oil filter
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
Apparently the oil filter cannister was a purchased option on many engines. My 1936_120b did not have one installed, but there was a FRAM unit in the trunk (maybe from another vehicle). Of course finding the right filter or cross-match might be a problem.

Does anyone have a straight 8 engine photo showing the oil filter cannister installed (I assume on the driver's side). Was it mounted to the engine or firewall? are there specific plugs in the engine for the lines?

Attach file:

pdf Size: 154.68 KB; Hits: 67

Posted on: 2009/9/8 6:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil filter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Taxman,
Many Packards (and other early cars came w/o oil filters.
My 1941 Clipper did not have a correct filter for 66 years until I added one in 2007

Yes, it goes in the drivers side, mounted on the block above the generator. I will look for a picture of mine. (there are many other pictures on the website in engine pictures). Try a search of forums and project blogs. (You may not accomplish this before some helpful web-member posts their picture before I can find mine.)

DanL

Posted on: 2009/9/8 6:58
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
TaxMan
Here's a couple of angles from a radiator repair job this summer.

DanL

Attach file:

jpg  (141.63 KB)
464_4aa6552f1dab8.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (129.64 KB)
464_4aa6559d4d267.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/9/8 8:01
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The Purolator oil filter accessory pictured in the brochure appears to be one that has its inlet on the bottom and the outlet on the top. Look at Big Kev's blog and his oil filter set up. More common is to have the inlet on the top part of the filter and the outlet on the bottom.

I saw an oil filter installation on a 120B at Salado in March. The return line was routed around the front of the engine (like the one pictured) and was plumbed to the front lifter cover. Where the filtered oil is returned to the engine seems to vary. Some do it through the lifter cover and some do it (in a less elegant way) through the oil fill tube.

What is important to watch for is where the filter inlet is located, and to be sure there is a restriction in the inlet side so as to bleed off a small portion of the oil that is being bypassed for filtering. The restriction may be in the tubing fittings or in the filter assembly.

There is a different outlet plumbing arrangement for hydraulic and mechanical lifter engines.

Then there is the full flow oil filter installation that can be seen on Mal's "Wade's Workshop" blog.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 10:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
Thanks for the info guys. As a follow-up, if I were to buy another cannister on ebay (Atlas, Fram, etc) that went on various 30s vehicles, that the designation for a 6 cylinder v 8 cylinder is all about size of the cannister; but if there is a restriction at the inlet, then maybe that's not all that important?

Posted on: 2009/9/8 11:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
taxman - Bypass type oil filters need to have a restriction on the inlet side. The restriction can be either built into the filter's canister or with a fitting in the line that connects the engine's output to the filter's input. I think the size of the filter's canister is not that important as the filter is only processing partial oil flow. Others may have different opinion on this.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 12:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Taxman,

Your other question: the filter in the picture takes a 'Fram C134PL' or I believe the NAPA number is '1080.'

When I got the car 2 years ago, it had a filter by 'Frantz' that used a roll of toilet paper as a cartridge. (It must have wiped the oil clean.) Or, maybe not.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/9/8 16:00
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
those Frantz toilet paper filters are frequently used as secondary (bypass) setups on diesel trucks like the Dodge/Cummins i have. I personally have never tried one, but a lot of guys swear by them.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 20:19
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Hi,

NAPA used to have one that looked something like that which was used on tractors. I used one for a while on my '30 until I got one of the reproduction with the spin on inside.

Gene

Posted on: 2009/9/22 15:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Dan, What is up with the white mesh (hair net) on the gas line? Do you have a picture showing the heat shield? It looks like it goes right up to the front of the carb, which is different than mine. Also the oil filter cartridge is Fram c-134pl, Napa 1071or Napa 1080. thanks

Posted on: 2009/9/23 19:43
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved