Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: T/L universal ball joints at gear box lever!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
HH56,
I cleaned away the grease and kept moving the grease boot around until I could see that the ball stud was jamned tight inside the casing and was not centered in the hole, proof positive the bars were still loaded. I then moved the bars using the T/L motor, first I increased the lever from the original (per book) 1/2" to about 7/8" by very small increments of 1/8" toward the center of the car, checking at each increment if the bars were loosening. That seemed to make the bars even more rigid at the ball joints and since I was bypassing the limit switches I stopped at that point,so I moved the lever back towards the main rail (side of car) and when I reached 1/2" past vertical center of the lever, the drivers side ball joint came apart very easily, but I had to move passenger side lever another 1/4" before it would come apart.
So it would appear that with my car, I have to reverse the direction of the lever to fully unload the ball joints. It is still a 1/2" but in the opposite direction. The problem is if you move the lever 1/2" towards the door, you don't have enough room to get a wrench and socket between the main rail and the ball joint to remove the plug, so you have to move the lever towards the center of the car.
I found that using a plastic tree cutting wedge between the wrench and the main rail worked perfect because it is tapered it will fit that odd angle between the ball joint and wrench.

Posted on: 2009/9/6 20:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
Does anyone know where to purchase the grease boots for the T/L drag link universal ball joints. I called around but the auto parts stores around here had no idea what I was talking about. Mine are there but not in good shape. I figured since I have everything apart I'd put new ones in.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 21:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you're speaking of these, believe Hank (Cli55er) got them from Max Merritt. IIRC said they were snug and a bit of effort required to put them on.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.16 KB)
209_4aa8691dc4c50.jpg 300X157 px

Posted on: 2009/9/9 21:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
HH56 Thanks,
That is exactly what I wanted. I was hoping someone had found something with a item or part number that would work and I could find one at a local auto parts. I keep finding out a lot of the auto parts stores have things they don't know they have but if it isn't on the computer under a make or model vehicle then the odds are slim you will get what ever you are looking for. But, sometimes I get lucky if there is a real car person working there.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 13:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I called around but the auto parts stores around here had no idea what I was talking about.

That is the S.O.P. for owning a Packard, get used to it. I've found it's best to ask the parts guy/gal for the book if he/she looks like he/she previously worked at McDonalds.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 14:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved