Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Window Glass
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The original marks on my glass are about a quarter of an inch, just a little bit taller than in width. I think yours should be the same, but I'm not certain. I told a friend of mine that I was going to replace my glass, and he told me that he'd help me get the correct mark. That was a while ago, so I'll see if I can get more information for you.

Probably would have been good to replace wiring anyway. You wouldn't believe the number of problems that are caused by old wiring. And I'm not referring to safety problems, which, in itself, would be reason enough to replace old wiring.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 9:51
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Glass shops can get a bronze tinted glass that may match the yellow appearance of the other original windows. It usually is special order and somewhat expensive.

Is it possible to polish off the new safety mark before applying the old style mark?

Steve

Posted on: 2009/11/11 11:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
West,

That be great if you can get the info from your friend.

For the wiring harness my father had purchase a new from RI a few years back and it was still in decent shape up until I sent the car off.

Just got off the phone with Narragansett Reproduction should have a new set in 2-4 weeks. :)

Steve,

Not sure about polishing off the marking?

Posted on: 2009/11/11 13:12
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Just got off the phone now with an Auto Glass Place and the cost for the window will be around $95 and he can sell it to me without stampings and it will be tempered glass.

He said he can etch it later with markings if I want too.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 13:20
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I trust you understand the tempered vs. laminated, yes? You seem concerned with detailed authenticity, and you can see the difference.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 13:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
B,

I understand the difference but is it that noticeable? If so I will check and see if he has laminated glass then.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 13:36
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
In my opinion, fully rolled up you can't tell. But the edges look different because you can see the lamination. I believe pre-war "safety glass" was laminated, not tempered.

I suppose one could be concerned about the glass-maker's mark vs original supplier (PPG, LOF, etc) also. I think Packard used PPG just before WWII, but I'm not certain.

Don't most judging criteria specifically allow glass replacement as a safety item?

Posted on: 2009/11/11 15:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Laminated is also easily distinguished by the refraction of light as it passed thru the optically different inner layer. This was the classic test for safety glass, light a match on one side and look at the image on the other. For authenticity, laminated should be used on Packards.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 15:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Laminated cuts more easily than tempered, I'm told.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 15:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Tom,

Have you tried OEM Glass in Chenoa, IL ? They make reproductions for several makes going back to 1927. They also claim to use the correct marks. A friend of mine used them for his award winning 1954 Caribbean and was very pleased. I plan on using them for my '37 120 when the time comes. Here is their link:

http://www.oemglass.net/index.html

Posted on: 2009/11/11 17:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved