Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 197

Ozstatman, Guscha, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

distributor gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
When I pulled my distributor out, there was no gasket on the Distributor shaft or in the well where it fits into the block.
Question, the book says it requires one but there is none shown in the illustrations. Is it just a round flat gasket that fits inside the well housing and what type of material? is cork or paper Okay.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 9:57
 Top  Print   

Re: distributor gasket
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Cork, just buy some cork sheet of the same approximate thickness as the depth of the recess and cut one. Nice project for a rainy afternoon. That said, I've worked on many cars where the gasket was missing, and can't say I ever saw much evidence of oil coming out, I'd want it more to prevent debris from getting in.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 10:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
Owen Thanks,
I never saw any evidence of oil leaking and it was dry when I pulled it out, and I had been running the engine just prior to pulling it. I was thinking the same as you, that it is probably needed more to keep dirt, water or? from getting in than oil getting out.

Are You thinking cork is better because Paper or garlok won't compress enough? Cork is a lot tougher to cut correctly, especially cutting a circle within a circle. I spent quite a lot of time cutting one recently for my tractor.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 11:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I said cork because the originals were cork, at least on those I've take note of (Packards, Chryslers, etc.) and I agree it's a pain to cut such a thin shape from cork. I think anything that reasonably seals the cavity and can tolerate the environment would be just fine, you might even be able to find a rubber "O" ring that would suffice.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 12:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
Owen Thanks,
I'll use cork. once upon a time I had a gasket cutter that made cutting any type of gasket a piece of cake, but it found a very good hiding place. I have been checking hobby shops and ? other places for a compass with a blade or a real gasket cutter kit but it seems they are relics of the past.
Thanks again.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 12:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Bowman Davis wrote:
...once upon a time I had a gasket cutter that made cutting any type of gasket a piece of cake, but it found a very good hiding place. I have been checking hobby shops and ? other places for a compass with a blade or a real gasket cutter kit but it seems they are relics of the past.

Bowman, I recently bought one at HobbyTown.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 12:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
JW Thanks for the info. According to thier web page there is a hobbytown in Newport News, and I got a phone # so I'll call tomorrow. They are not listed in any of the local phone books but, there are lot of stores no longer using the phone books to advertize.
Thanks Again

Posted on: 2009/12/3 19:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
For applications such as this one where it's mostly just a dust seal or very low volumn/pressure grease then felt can be used. Several thin pieces stacked onto top of each other if necessary. Felt is ez to cut with siccors.

As for gasket punches look to eBay. I have a cheap chinese brand Punch and Die set that works just fine. About $25-$30 + shipping if u you're patient with eBay. My set goes from 3/4 inch down to 1/8 in 1/16 increments. It cuts lite gauge metals too. I use it alot. It's great because it has a centering feature.

I also have a cheap chinese knock off of the Whitney punch. About $11 bucks from eBay + ship. Also very useful. As with any of the import knock-offs (some things are worthless) some patience is required to use them but these two products seem to work just fine.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 20:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
PackardV8, Thanks for the input. About a year ago I did bid on a real nice gasket making kit on ebay but, was outbid at the last minute. I'll keep looking.

Question? Is it normal to have side play in the oil pump drive shaft to the distributor. I noticed some sludge around the seal and used a magnet to see if there was any metal particles in it and the top of the shaft would tilt sidewards when contacting the magnet. The seal looks good.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 9:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Excellent recommendation on the felt!

Posted on: 2009/12/4 9:59
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved