Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Packard Wives: Nature or Nurture?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
BigKev wrote: I would like to find an older car for my wife to have.

53 on Nash Ramblers were available with auto, were fairly small but very well appointed little cars, and reasonably plentiful. Of course, if you could find one of the rarer "Lois Lane" convertibles (if still available then), she'd have quite the car.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 17:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin, How about a 1965+ Corvair convertible? Great little cars, easy to work on, plentiful, and affordable. Second choice, a Porsche 914. Same reasons as above but more fun, fun, fun.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 17:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kacarlson
See User information
The only old car I've ever heard her say she liked was an old Mercedes 230 SL convertible (red, of course). Having owned a '74 240D for 20-yrs I'm keenly aware of the insane cost of restoring and even keeping these cars up to snuff. That's what got me into doing really major projects on my own. I couldn't afford the $60/hr the Mercedes mechanics cost back in the mid-late '80's (in Boston). What I've found is most people buy these things so they can stare at that little pointy star but they can't afford to do ANYTHING to the car so it just wastes away and very quickly becomes a mess. And why is it that the electrical system is always a wreck. How many times do you see one tail light out and the other as bright as the sun?

Anyway, it would be a fun car to drive and those parts would be a little easier to work into the budget if it was her car.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 4:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
I really hate to be negative but if after 6 years she has not shown any interest, she ain't going to. I had much the same situation only worse(you will notice I said HAD).
My now wife has 2 cars of her own 1 is a Packard Patrician that she picked out. The former wife has a condo in Florida that she goes to every year and in the 2 weeks that she and her husband are there, they never leave it to enjoy any of the surrounding sights...... What a waste.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 10:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I've been thru this too many times. When a man hears a woman talking MB, BMW, Audi, Corvette fever and the like or she can't drive a car over 5 years old or without power windows and seats then YOU KNOW she's been reading too much People Magazine.

At which point it's time to drop your jeans, give her a little reminder of who's boss and then after that a gentle pat on the hiney and tell her: " now, get in that kitchen and make those pots and pans really sing".

Works for me! Won't be long and she'll be gone. But u won't be slave to the car payment coupon book. Amen and Amen.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 11:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
The cute factor is critical... she loves our 70 MGB and the TRs and Jags we had years ago, but made me get rid of my '57 300-C convertible 20 yrs ago because it was "ugly"! She says the same thing about '58 DeSoto hardtop I presently have, but I've wised up now and just ignore her...she's only lukewarm about the prospective 47 Clipper that will soon be joining the others if I'm lucky, that one is only "bulbous"... well maybe it is, but it's a beautiful bulbosity!! I've tried nurturing for 38 years, no luck so far as car love goes, for anything other than little sports cars.
PS - MG made a few automatic roadsters and GTs in the late 60s, cute factor is there, and a blast to drive, even with the auto. Women love 'em.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 16:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
My wife was doomed from the start. On our first date, I took her in my 66 Cadillac Convertible (to "impress" her). Car broke down and she had to help me push it while my Dad steered it to a service station. Needless to say, she does not enjoy my enthusiasm for old cars. She was a trooper though. I think she would be happy with a Chevelle, but every time she looks at my Packard, she asks when I'm going to sell it.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 19:02
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
My wife of 35 years can drive any vehicle we ever owned including our motorhome and the Packard. She never complains about driving our rusting and patched up '83 Volvo 240 with manual shift which we use as our primary winter car. To her a car is just an appliance to haul her from A to B and she doesn't really care what it is as long as the wheels turn. She has no desire to own a status car and couldn't care less about about what she is seen in.
Having said that she also is very tolerant of my passion for old cars and uncomplainingly attends car shows and even some cruise nights with me be as long as she has shade, a lawn chair and a book. She does help in the garage if need also . My feeling is that her favourite car was our signal red 1979 Mercedes 450SL which I sold prior to buying the unrestored Packard. I know she would have preferred me to keep the MB as we had many enjoyable trips in that car over the years and it didn't need restoration.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
At which point it's time to drop your jeans, give her a little reminder of who's boss and then after that a gentle pat on the hiney and tell her: " now, get in that kitchen and make those pots and pans really sing".

Works for me! Won't be long and she'll be gone. But u won't be slave to the car payment coupon book. Amen and Amen.

This has got to be the most intelligent reply I've seen on here in a long time, well done Keith! Have one on me!

Posted on: 2009/12/8 19:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
My wife and I over 28 years of being married have had our differences over my love of cars. However I do have a fine automotive library. A two car garage with a 53 Packard and 66 Chevelle sitting inside. The garage is heated has ac,and tv.

My wife has gone to very few cars shows and can't understand my love of cars. However I can never understand her love of flowers and such things.

One thing my good wife has done over the last 28 years has been a good manager of money. In another 18 months we are going to be able to retire with no debts and some money in the bank. Because of that I will be able to spend all the time I want working on both of my cars.

I am lucky to have the wife I have to me life is good.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/12/8 20:38
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved