Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: GOING TO SEE A 400! HELP!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Keith -

The OE bumper jack can be used break the bead loose from the rim on these cars - provided they are still fitted with the OE wheels. The base of the OE jack was actually designed to fit the rim for that very purpose.

That technique is facilited by the OE wheels because they do not have the "safety rim" profile; that is, they do not have the hump on the inboard side of either of the rim's bead seats. I don't know if the bumper jack method would work with more modern "safety rims", though.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 18:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Using the bumper jack to break the tire off of the wheel rim????? That's news to me.

So is JUST THE BASE of the bumperjack used???? Could u or any one give an explanation on how to do that????

The 50's and 60's tires i/ve broken off of rims was a terrific struggle even with my pnumatic bead breaker because they were so damned stiff.

I'd sure like to know how to do it with the bumper jack.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 22:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Keith,

Download any of the older Owner's Manuals (pre-1950 or so). Most of them have a small section on breaking the tire bead with the bumper-jack.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 22:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks all.

BTW, I know what a Halon extinguisher is and the difference between them and dry chem. Heck, I even know what CO 2 is.

Better dry chem than no car.

You'd never win that lawsuit in a million years.

It's snowing here. Kind of glad I got out to see that car, because it's obvious now it was my last chance 'til spring. It was worth the trip.
'Nuf said.

Posted on: 2009/12/9 0:04
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Guy,

The seller will be more motivated in the Spring. Cash talks, BS walks.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/12/9 9:24
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

55PackardGuy wrote:
Thanks all.

Better dry chem than no car.

You'd never win that lawsuit in a million years.

It's snowing here. Kind of glad I got out to see that car, because it's obvious now it was my last chance 'til spring. It was worth the trip.
'Nuf said.

A fire extinguisher can be a very handy device around old cars even a dry chem variety. I used a small dry chem along with a 2 or 3 others when a Ford caught fire during registration at the 2007 Barnum MN car show. Without the extinguishers his car would likely have been destroyed. The car show hosts bought new fire extinguishers for those who were involved. To date only thanks from the car owner car show hosts and no lawsuits. Snow and below 0F with a strong north wind today!

Posted on: 2009/12/9 9:38

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Keith -

You use the complete bumper jack - assembled - and aided by the the weight of the car - usually via the rear bumper - to break the bead.

That method may not work, however, if the tire bead has become bonded to the seat - usually because someone previouly applied bead sealant. (I never use that crap.)

My dad taught me a good trick to use in that case. Take a section of 2x8, lay it on the tire, with the edge of the long side side close to, but not on, the rim - forming a ramp. Then, slowly drive the front tire of the Packard up the ramp - aided by someone keeping an eye on the things from outside the car. Exercise the same caution as you would with any ramp. You will have to reposition the tire and repeat the process several times to get the bead loose all the way around the rim, and repeat for other side.

Of course, you'll still need spoons to get the loose tire off of the wheel.

Again, these bead breaking techniques will likely not work with later "safety" type rims.

Posted on: 2009/12/9 9:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Guy -

I went into just a little detail on halon extinguishers because someone else previously gave you good advice in this thread, but you had glossed over/twisted it in your reply. I didn't want someone else getting the idea that dry-chem was a better choice than halon or CO2. If you ever saw a halon extinguisher properly demonstrated, you would never want to use anything else.

While I might not win that lawsuit, just the threat of a suit is sufficient to deter most. Yet, let me put it another way. If anyone came to look at one of my cars for sale with a dry-chem extinguisher in hand, I wouldn't let them within sight of that car. (No, none of my Packards are for sale.)

Admittedly, I do have one dry-chem extinguisher hanging in the house, but using it on a car would be my last resort. I now have four halon extinguishers, of various capacities. Eventually, there will be one kept, permanently, in each of my old cars.

Posted on: 2009/12/9 10:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have 4 or 5 dry chem extinguishers scattered about hte house too and in 2wo of the cars. BUT THEY are NOT there because i think they will do any good. When i get serious about threat of fire i get the CO2's handy and in an arms reach.

ANYONE can FOLLOW just about any fire deaprtment to their next emergency call. SEE FOR YOURSELVES. THE FIRST THING THAT FIRFIGHTER GRABS when he bails from the fire engine is CO2 fire extinguisher. THen go to their civilan fire safety class and listen to them sing dry-chem.

Don't do as they say. DO AS THEY DO!

Posted on: 2009/12/9 10:17
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
My experience working on two Packard V8s is that the gas tank drain plug is useless after 50 years. Most other makes don't even have one. In both cases my best efforts at holding the base the plug is screwed into failed and the base twisted, causing it to leak. Leave the plug alone and drop the tank so you can work on it, which is not too difficult.

Posted on: 2009/12/9 12:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved