Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 244

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 Patrician 400 Brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
A project for this Spring will be a complete brake renewal on a 1951 Patrician 400. I'd appreciate ideas on suppliers who will have the cylinders and brake shoes (linings) and any common part numbers (cross reference) that might be available locally.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 7:40
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 Patrician 400 Brakes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's a page from a Wagner-Lockheed catalog which shows the OEM parts for your car, this plus the cross-reference pages on this website plus the 48-54 parts book which shows which years thru 1956 used the same part #s should solve your problem. You should be able to find most everything at the local NAPA or other auto parts store.

Attach file:

jpg  (214.08 KB)
177_4b4b38c9b2263.jpg 1219X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/1/11 9:42
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Wheel cylinders are like $12 each at NAPA when I bought them. So just replace them. If it's a '51 then it's manual brakes. The master cylinder can be bought at Napa also but costs about $100. But there is an ebay seller that has them brand new for about $55. So that is where I got mine. I also bought a hardware kit and new adjusters from that same seller.

Brake hoses and shoes are also available from Napa. Check the X-Ref for more details, and double check the size of your shoes before getting new ones as there are differences between the Seniors and Juniors.

Once you know exactly what Wagner part number you need, it's pretty easy to match those to modern shoes. Rockauto.com, Napa, Autozone, Kragen (now O'reilies) carried them as those same size shoes were used well into the 70s.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 12:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Buy your brake hoses on ebay also. About 1/2 the price of NAPA.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 14:04
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I always wondered about those hoses at the sellers location is Argentina, and if they were DOT certified or not.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 19:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Here's a page from a Wagner-Lockheed catalog which shows the OEM parts for your car,

Owen,
The wagner page is interesting. However I'm having trouble reading any of it. When I capture the picture and view it it is illegible.

Is there some way to upload a higher resolution version of it?? Thanks,

Posted on: 2010/1/12 12:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Owen,
The wagner page is interesting. However I'm having trouble reading any of it. When I capture the picture and view it it is illegible. Is there some way to upload a higher resolution version of it?? Thanks,

Did you left-click on the image to enlarge it? At least in my OS a left click enlarges and the type is very crisp and legible. If that doesn't work for you, send me a PM with your email and I'll send it that way. BTW, that's one page from a Wagner catalog that's about 1000 double-sides pages, hard to think what isn't in it concerning brakes, it covers from 1952 back into the 20s, cars and all sorts of trucks and commercial vehicles.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 13:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Did you left-click on the image to enlarge it?

Thanks Owen. That did work. You learn something every day.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 20:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved