Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: 1956 Packard (maybe 1955?) questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Two questions:

Is it TIMED FI????
Does it have a backfire valve??? I can post a pic of a backfire valve used on Rochester timed FI ca 1956.

You probably should pick up the phone and call Roscoe and ask him, he said he'd be glad to answer questions but since he asked Kev to post his response, I'd assume he doesn't use or have internet access.

EDIT - well, perhaps he does have internet access afterall.

Posted on: 2010/1/16 10:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
This is from the report no 174
Durability
Only one drive system was used for all tests. No appreciable gear wear was discernible and the injection pump drive tang had no appreciable wear. The gears were made from camshaft cast iron and were unhardened but were given a special shaving operation. The drive shaft was made of unhardened cold rolled steel. On the basis of the above performance the durability of the Bosch system can be considered satisfactory with one exception, The exception is the unknown effect of running time on fuel delivery characteristics. No tests were made to investigate this effect.
This is from Advanced Engine Engineering November 4, 1955
Endurance test run on vertical drive unit completing 80 hours at speeds ranging from 800 to 4,000 rpm. Wear pattern satisfactory and no indication of heavy wear yet.

Posted on: 2010/1/16 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
Advanced Engine Engineering Department: 11-11-55
Our main effort during the past year has been concentrated on gasoline injection, which we think will mark a new era in automotive engine design. After careful study we have chosen the intermittent and timed injection system, since it adapts itself more easily to a standard production engine than the direct injection system, and offers similar gains. Our advanced program on fuel injection consists of the American Bosch, Simmonds and Studebaker-Packard systems. During the past year we have developed our own injection system, which has shown considerable promise, its main feature, besides simplicity and low cost, being that no driving effort is required for the metering and distribution unit, which can therefore be driven by the distributor gears from the engine camshaft without fear of noise or wear.
It is not a claim on the tank mounted pump The letter is from C. J. Parker To H. E. Churchill with a CC to Mr. Forest McFarland, Advanced engineering Dept. Detroit

PS I asked Kevin to post my 1st response as I could not get the pictures to load

Posted on: 2010/1/16 10:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the excellent pictures of the components. Wish the drawing were a bit clearer but can't have it all. I'll show my ignorance re F-I though by asking what the large tube is for coming out side of manifold.

Posted on: 2010/1/16 11:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
the tube is not part of the manifold it is the handle of the 2 wheel cart that the plywood and the manifold is on. sorry for the confusion

Posted on: 2010/1/16 11:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Now that I feel sillier than usual, must say the matchup couldn't have been better to fool the uninformed.

Posted on: 2010/1/16 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
the picture was taken on 5-24-09 with no intent to publish it just as a record for myself of the work being done

Posted on: 2010/1/16 12:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sorry if my comment came out the wrong way--and do appreciate all the information you provided. Am sure all would really like any info and insight you care to give on a one of a kind car..
It's just that with the color and position and unlike others here, not knowing exactly what constitutes a F-I system, it couldn't have been more fooling. If I had looked more closely could have seen that anything would be unlikely to be coming out the manifold ports right where the head bolts.

Posted on: 2010/1/16 12:18
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Roscoe,

Is it possible to get a photo copies of the engineering test documents for the archive here on the website? I think it would be a neat piece of Packard R/D history to preserve.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2010/1/16 13:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Mr Stelford, Thank you very much for posting this information and clearing away assumptions and faulty information. Many of us have read of the testing of FI and appreciate the actual facts and pictures of same.

Posted on: 2010/1/16 14:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved