Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 87

kevinpackard, CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 47 48 49 (50) 51 52 53 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe that's the driver for rear oil pump and with it broken like that, would also look very carefully at pump rotors & make sure they haven't seized or been damaged in any way..Piece was also prone to wear- the driver first and then when worn, pump rotor drive lugs soon followed, so driver redesigned twice. Revisions applicable to all including 54 GS. First time it was hardened to reduce wear (TB 55T-47) and second time was a complete re-machining (SC Jan 56 Vol30#1). Might be a good idea to locate the latest design.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 13:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
A lockup torque converter should run cooler. The conventional torque converter wastes 2 or 3% of the energy input through friction and slippage. The lockup feature eliminates this waste which turns to heat in a conventional torque converter.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 15:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:
Rusty O\'Toole wrote:
A lockup torque converter should run cooler.

If the lockup starts to slip, though, it'll heat everything up in a hurry. That's why the thing had to be engineered to work right all the time, which Chrysler found out when they tried to make theirs--about 24 years after Packard first showed how it was done. I wouldn't be surprised if the Twin Ultra overall had a better repair record than the first Chrysler lockup torque converter trans did. I remember it was considered a dud.

Henry,

Every time I look at your work I feel like a complete slipshod slug, but in a good way! It's great to at least know there are young people out there who know how to do things right-- and especially to document the work as well as you have. You'll probably save a lot more Packards than your own with this blog. "Ask the Man Who Works On One," eh?

Posted on: 2009/12/21 22:56
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
hey man thanks! sometimes i feel like i could do better though. i just try to do my best as much as possible.

i did take apart the valve body and all the pieces yesterday and laid them all out for pics, but i have to resize and post later.

i ordered new bands and a new direct drive clutch cause they were way cheaper than through Kanter. i am saving up now for the rebuild kit for the trans, along with misc. pieces not in the kit.

so far this trans is working out pretty nice. ;0)

be expecting a step by step trans rebuild process with pics comming in the next few months. i also thought about filming it in HD :0) HUGE file i bet ;0) LOL!! but i think it would be cool to have a video step by step on the trans. idk....

i wont have the engine done for Salado, but i hope to have the transmission and driveshaft done. something else for everyone to look at.

i'll post pics later, ya'll have a good one now...hear!

Hank

Posted on: 2010/1/7 22:43
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
pics to go with my last blog update. i finally got less lazy and resized and uploaded them. LOL!

as you can tell this valve body is WAY better than the last one. LOL!!

later

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (102.31 KB)
491_4b4d3b140e9b9.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (116.56 KB)
491_4b4d3b1e356d5.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (112.67 KB)
491_4b4d3b2b62cf1.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (97.14 KB)
491_4b4d3b344d57e.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/1/12 22:17
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
As a fairly new member here, hadn't been following this blog all along, but over the last couple days read all 25 pages, and all I can say is... WOW!!!
What a great job, really impressed by your willingness to delve into the most complicated jobs with thoroughness and persistence! Documenting this process is a valuable service to everyone. I'll be starting in on a '56 Executive later on this Spring - so a hearty thanks, for your willingness to resurrect a deserving car, and for sharing the process... keep on keepin on!!! Roger A in NY

Posted on: 2010/1/13 18:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
THANKS!

it is comments like yours that keeps me going. i am glad that this blog is helping so many people. stay tuned there is way more to come ;0) and hopefully a big surprise ;0)

props to all the guys that help me out on here too!

later dude,

Hank

Posted on: 2010/1/13 18:41
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Hank, I wish I had half your energy... well, I did once, about 40 years ago!! Now I get tired just looking at the pictures!
Can't wait to see the bodywork phase , that's my favorite part of a restoration!

Posted on: 2010/1/14 6:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
edit

Posted on: 2010/2/8 0:18
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
worked on the car some more this weekend. trying to get things ready for Salado fun.

cleaned up the entire valve body from the transmission. lots of brake parts cleaner and believe it or not rubbing alcohol on Q-tips, they work great! it is all very clean and shiny. not that it matters cause it will be in transmission covered in fluid LOL! haha! but i like it.

i took a video of me putting together the lower rear valve body. this is part one of the entire valve body rebuild on video. (Kev, reason why i asked about video host on this website) i plan to video the entire rebuild of the twin ultramatic from start to finish. the valve body videos are just the first set to the complete collection. and.....they're in HD ;0) even better!

i took the wheels to the tire shop and go them dismounted, then took the rims to the sandblaster, but noticed that one of the beads has a dent in it on one of the rims, so i am going to work with them and try to find someone that will bead roll them and make sure they are true to form. then they are going to get powdercoated (in lew of painted). just high gloss black. the hub caps are going to cover most of this color anyways and powerdercoating is more durable. then i will get the bias plys mounted and put them back on the rolling chassis for Salado. better than last year when i had the crappy rollers on there. ;0) LOL! (and for those going to Salado, YES i know there is a weird cut up hole in my frame that some moron cut. thanks for noting again ;0)

there is a place right down the road from me that does all this and i didn't even know they existed, wish i did when i was doing the frame, etc....might have had the frame powder coated, but then it would look too perfect and i don't like that either. so i am good with what i have done so far.

I also took the trans case, tail-shaft, bell-housing, etc...to let this company soak them and clean them (not sandblast) just clean with stronger cleaners then i have. (it was cheap, so i let them do it and save me the trouble)

the drive shaft, sway bar, etc...is going to be sandblasted. then i will take the driveshaft to be balanced,etc...

One VERY ANNOYING thing....the sway bar bushing clamps ARE WELDED TOGETHER!!! how do you change the bushings if you can't separate the bushing clamp. VERY ANNOYING PACKARD!!! what a PITA!! any thoughts on how to do this as Packard intended it to be done?

thanks for following the blog.

edit//// i deleted the video for a better one that i did. it is in a more recent post on page 26 of the blog.

later,

Hank

Posted on: 2010/2/21 1:29
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 47 48 49 (50) 51 52 53 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved