Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 208

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: '55 or '56 body style
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
This picture makes my point exactly. This is apparently an early 55 before they added that upper color to the front fender and front door. IMHO this is the best of the 55 Clippers.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 14:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
('55 is a bit too close to the '55 Pontiac to me)
Isn't the above statement exactly the reason it was changed to the "busier" design that some don't like. Don't remember it being Pontiac as the car, but it was reported in one article that two cars were in close proximity at some point. Someone high up in marketing supposedly took one look at the similarity and ordered a change so as to avoid any confusion or chance of being accused of copying.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 14:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
This Pontiac/Clipper comparison in '55 is confusing to me, not being much of a Poncho fan of that period. Was the paint scheme similar in that it had a downward curving swatch of contrasting color across the front door? That would be a distinctive enough touch that "copying" could be a consideration.

But the alternate trim shown on the pic of the beautiful Deluxe from the previous page, with the straight chrome spear and second color on only the upper rear fenders and trunk, looks nice in its own right, although not as distinctive as the sweep. Which style supposedly "copied" Pontiac?

Also, I believe, but don't know for sure, that the two trim styles in '55 were available on all Clippers throughout the model year. Es verdad?

Attach file:

jpg  (30.22 KB)
917_4b94410655842.jpg 521X291 px

Posted on: 2010/3/7 18:49
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
the pontiac is a smaller car.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 20:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I always thought the trim on the Clipper was an adaptation of the 54 Caribbean trim. It looks as though it was derived from that. Perhaps Pontiac copied it from the Caribbean??

Posted on: 2010/3/7 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
the pontiac is a smaller car.

Posted on: 2010/3/8 0:10
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
I always thought the trim on the Clipper was an adaptation of the 54 Caribbean trim. It looks as though it was derived from that. Perhaps Pontiac copied it from the Caribbean??

I'd say it looks pretty familiar, at that.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.77 KB)
917_4b948846355a6.jpg 400X186 px

Posted on: 2010/3/8 0:17
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
The pic of the 55 Clipper at Warren really shows how nice the lines were, and what a great color combo too. It gives me much added appreciation for the 55s; I've been warming up to them more & more, as also with the 51-54s. The 55s had a good foundation to build on with their update, and corrected the biggest flaw, imho, the heavy handed 51-4 grille.

Posted on: 2010/3/8 11:52
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved