Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 200

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

'55 or '56 body style
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
As far as I know, this topic hasn't been discussed here. Being the V8 Packard Forum, and being that the forum title includes the (1955-56) addendum, think it would be interesting to get opinions from the V8 forum folks on which of these two Packard model years' styling they like the best and why.

I'll start by saying (and given my handle, this is probably not a surprise) I like the '55 best overall. A bit cleaner, and I think this particularly applies to the front of the Seniors and the rear and sides of the Clippers, the two-tone paint and curved side molding on the Custom and Constellation. I believe that no other automobile ever to use this particular treatment, making them unique. To tell the truth, I also prefer the "sore thumb" Clipper tail lights over the '56 "slippers," which are more mainstream. There's no contest on the vertical grill bars versus the horizontal of the '56 Clipper lineup. The vertical chrome on the '55 Clippers is most faithful to the Packard styles of yore than any of the V8 Packard models of either year.

On the seniors, from the side, I actually also like the "reynolds wrap" that does not run the full length. To me, the '56 side trim extended over the rear quarter is a bit overdone. The trunk of the '56 model year is a plus, but the hood of the '55 models with the deeper stamping looks more sculpted. The pointy "eyebrows" on the seniors are unique, but they always appear too aggressive, and also ripe to be crunched in any kind of front-end impact. The "egg crate" grille, which first appeared in '48 I believe, disappeared on the '51-'54 Reinhart designs for good reason, I think. It looks too busy for my taste.

That's my general assessment of some of the various major styling features of the '55-'56 models, including front, rear, and sides. The rooflines and "cathedral" tail lights are pretty similar between the years and I don't really have an opinion either way on those aspects. Likewise on the placement of "bumper bullets" which I think work well in both years.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 1:05
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: '55 or '56 body style
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Take everything that you don't like about the '56s and reverse it for me. I love the '56 Senior headlight trim, it really makes the car look "aggressive", and that's why I like it. The '56 Seniors especially, look so much more elegant next to the '55 Seniors, which looks more plain-Jane IMHO. Same goes for the '56 Clippers, the taillight treatment looks so much better than the "afterthought" sore-thumb taillights of the '55s.(and '54s, for that matter) The '56s are so much better looking than all the '51-'55s, the epitome of '50s flash.

If the '56 Packard Senior cars came out in '51, the '50s would have been different for sure.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 1:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I've owned 55 and 56s. IMHO the 56 Sr models cleaned up the lines and appearance of the 55s. The 56s are a more stunning presentation and capture the best of that design.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 4:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Everything that people liked with the new 1955 design was greatly enhanced by the 56 models. The side trim running all the way to the rear of the car on the senior models, the grille treatment and most importantly the front fender "eyebrows" that were added make the 56 cars have a great look. Not to mention the mechanical items also, larger cubic inch displament, pushbutton drive, twin traction etc...

Posted on: 2009/10/30 7:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
I would trade both the 1955s and the 1956s for the all-new 1957 Seniors. If =that= car came out in 1955, history might have been a lot different... (See the latest edition of the Packard Cormorant for the designs and photos of the '57s.)

Posted on: 2009/10/30 8:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have to chime in with the 56 crowd. To me the 55 seniors just look unfinished and was never a fan of the taillights on the 54-55 Clippers.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 8:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Like others, I own both 55 & 56. I personally think which year is better is a toss up. As no doubt this thread will prove, it depends upon who you ask.

If pressed, I would answer the question this way: let the public (a crowd in these examples) decide. As I have related in other threads on PackardInfo, twice recently I have had over 40 people at one time presented with one 55 or both 55 & 56 Senior Packards. In both cases, the reaction was wildly positive.

In the first situation, I randomly encountered over 40 French tourists off a bus at my local supermarket parking lot. Even though my 55 Pat was hardly "show ready", I was surrounded by high enthusiasm, thumbs up, many camera snaps and more questions in broken English than I could understand. And these French people did not even know what a Packard was, much less a 1955!

The second situation was the B-movie shoot in Crystal, NV involving the Harley Davidson bikers. I and Paul drove our 55 and 56 Packards there as background for the movie. Upon arrival we both were surrounded by about 100 people, mostly bikers and their babes. Bikers are not usually "car people", but they loved both cars. As you may know, my 55 Pat is an original survivor and Paul's Exec is a restored beauty with lots of engine bay chrome. The difference did not seem to matter to the bikers. If I had to make one observation about the different reactions, I'd say the guys liked Paul's a little better and the babes liked mine a little better.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/10/30 8:36
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In many cases the restyle the 2nd year after a new body style fails to improve on the first or original year. In my opinion in Packard's case in 1955/1956 it succeeded admirably, though not necessarily to the same degree across the entire line of vehicles.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 9:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
the 55 reminds me of a simplier time, but still luxurious. 56 they got all glammy to me.

i like them both, but i like the 55 better. one thing i don't realy like about the 56 is the extended brows...too much for me. i do like the cathedral tail lights and the exhaust comming out of the bumper.

i like the paint scheme with the curved trim on the sides of the clipper, better than the straight change in 56...

they wouldn't have made all those changes to 56 as easily if it wasn't for the alpha dog....55....someone had to be the beta and for that we can appreciate what it is and what it afforded for the future.

plus i am obviously biased to 55. LOL!

Posted on: 2009/10/30 10:32
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
In contrast to the 54th Series (the last and perhaps best of a four-year run), the 55th Series was an awesome change - even if technically only a facelift. The 56th Series was a refinement over the 55th Series, but while I can appreciate both, I do have my preferences.

When it comes to the 56th Senior Series, some styling elements just look more evolved - more finished. For example, consider the door moldings that run along the top of the 55th Series Patrician door frames, but below the separate skinny drip rail scalp molding, on 55th Series - too busy looking to me. In contrast, all the 56th Series closed cars use a single, simpler, taller/wider scalp rail molding.

Then, the extended headlamp brows, the wider spacing of the front bumper bullets, the squared off deck lid, and extension of the "Reynolds Wrap" trim to the full length of the rear fenders give the appearance of a wider, longer car. While, the '55 grille was quite opulent in its fully-polished, chrome-plated finish, the 56th Series grille is more elegant - especially when they changed to a gold screen. I also prefer the gold-finished, damascened, dash screen used in 1956. I love the gold-vee on the 55th Series version of the cathedral taillights that hints at what's new under the hood for '55, but the red hex reflex applied, instead, for '56 is nicely executed and gives some added visibility at night. The 55th Series Four Hundred cloth and leather interior foreshadows the look of the cloth side of the reversible upholstery for the 56th Series Caribbean.

When it comes to Juniors, I like the "California" look of the tightly-spaced horizontal grill bars, that carry over to the fender-mounted turn signal housings on the 56th Series over the vertical grille bars and smaller, grille-mounted turn signals of the 55th Series. The shark-fin taillights which first appeared for 1956 were and still are a timeless classic in the industry, but I never really liked the broad sweep of the moldings and two-tone effect along the sides - though Studebaker adopted a similar treatment for '56 (except the Hawks). That looses some of the longer look gained with the Seniors. In some ways, the '56 Exec offers the best of both worlds - Packard grille, Clipper taillights, but straight side trim - though lacking some finishing touches of the true Seniors.

Getting back to Clippers, I prefer the curvy side trim of the 55th Series, which allows for a dramatic two-tone - especially with highly contrasting colors (red/black, yellow/black, etc.). I find the sore-thumb taillight more attractive than what was used on '51-'53 Juniors, but the integration of the (optional) back-up light housing for the 55th Series is the cherry on top of the dessert. However, the rear bumper that carried over from 54th Series, looks outdated among all the other changes, but I don't know what else they could have done. The rear bumper for the 56th Series Clipper is a definite improvement, but wouldn't mesh with the sore thumb taillights.

Mind you, those are just my own personal tastes and only WRT to those elements which immediately come to mind.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 11:16
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved