Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 238

JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Dealer: Kansas City MO
Just popping in
Just popping in

DRP
See User information
I observed that the Reid Ward Motor Company was located at one point along the McGee Trafficway.

In later years, the building was occupied by Bill Neale Chrysler-Plymouth. After that dealer closed and before the building was demolished, the "PACKARD" name was clearly evident on the building. I don't recall when the building was demolished but it was part of the Crown Center project.

For those who are interested in dealer advertising, Bill Neale spent quite a bit of money on "singing cars." A local filmmaker/producer opened and closed the hoods of cars and shot photos so that when the photos were run as a film, the cars were "singing" the dealer's theme, "YOU get the FEEL-ing of honest DEAL-ing when you see BILL NEALE!"

These productions evidently took several days to shoot because the filmmaker moved the hoods on three or four cars only a fraction of an inch at a time for each frame. It was extremely labor intensive but quite effective.

I've looked on the Missouri Valley Room website (KCMO public library) and found nothing on the building. This is surprising because it survived at least into the 1970s and probably into the mid-1980s.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 23:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Dealer: Kansas City MO
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Is this the building on McGee? or was this the location on Main St?

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2010/3/6 1:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
My car was delivered out of Reid-Ward in July 1940.

Attach file:

jpg  (78.83 KB)
404_4b9262d7dfa3d.jpg 720X429 px

Posted on: 2010/3/6 9:12
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

DRP
See User information
Big Kev asked an excellent question: whether the photo is of the Reid Ward location on Main or on McGee Trafficway.

It is definitely Main Street.

My next comments piece together information and have conclusions which I believe to be correct, however should not be taken as the definitive truth.

Main Street rises rapidly as you go south from Union Station (23rd & Main). The reason for this is that Union Station was built in low land so that tracks from several directions could converge at one point.

St. Mary's Hospital rose on the hill above Union Station just west of Main. St. Mary's was opened before Union Station though while Union Station was being planned.

It appears that Reid Ward Motors was located directly on Main Street.

An expansion of St. Mary's Hospital began on October 14, 1948. My guess is that the expansion required acquisition of the Reid Ward property, and that it was demolished as a part of the hospital expansion.

I am speculating that Reid Ward chose this time to move east and south about 2? blocks. The building that I recall looked more like more modern car dealers, with a large showroom and a glass front, with a sizable lot beside and behind the building. The repair facility extended on behind the showroom.

From what I recall of the building, it was quite modern in appearance, with limestone used liberally in the facade. The name, "Packard" was cut into the limestone above the main entrance, which fronted on McGee Trafficway. I should point out that limestone is found in abundance in Kansas City so quite a few buildings in this area are made of this stone.

The building reflected both a very modern but also very stately appearance, as one would expect of a car appealing to an upper demographic segment of the market.

I can say definitively that the Main Street location was the older one. I'm offering some speculation as to the timing of the move but the fact that St. Mary's Hospital expanded about the same time as the new building was constructed strongly suggests that the events were connected.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2010/3/6 14:04
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

DRP
See User information
West Peterson attached a photo of a gorgeous car which was originally purchased from the dealer in Kansas City.

Based upon the delivery date, I can say with almost absolute certainty that it was purchased in the building which appears in the photo.

Posted on: 2010/3/6 14:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I found this website which points to the photo as being on the McGee address:

http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/Henry&CISOPTR=84&CISOBOX=1&REC=15

Posted on: 2010/3/6 14:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

DRP
See User information
Much as though I despise being wrong -- I may have been when I reported that the old building was on Main.

I researched this further.

Even numbered addresses are on the west side of the street in Kansas City; odd numbered addresses are on the east. The newer building was on the east side of the street facing west.

I must therefore concede that the newer building would have therefore faced the Liberty Memorial, Penn Valley Park, and St. Mary's Hospital.

If you look at Google Earth or one of the other satellite map services, you can see a grassy, open area just south of the Crown Center complex. This is where the dealer would have been. After Bill Neale Chrysler Plymouth closed, the building was vacant for several years. Kansas City's climate is especially hard on vacant buildings so the empty dealership was probably in poor condition by the time it was demolished.

Posted on: 2010/3/6 14:56
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

DRP
See User information
I checked the McGee location and this building was, in fact, replaced by Hallmark Cards headquarters.

I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from buying Hallmark cards.

Posted on: 2010/3/8 17:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Drp.

Are you a member of Mid-America Packards? Regardless of that, at one time Bob Aller and i had a lengthy discussion about the two buildings. you are correct to remember the second being more modern with "packard" carved into the stone above the front door. best as i remember the story, Hallmark bought the building after it was no longer a chrysler dealership. they used it for several years then tore it down. the very first info and photo i saw of the building was a story by, i believe the Kansas City Star about the building being torn down. The photo was of the "packard" stone laying on the side walk in the midst of the debris. i'll have to see if i can find that article. it may be with my Data Plate news leters.

Posted on: 2010/3/13 0:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Was the Packard Zone Office located with the dealership in the newer location? If so, I was there with my father to pick-up a car for him to sell. He would often take the train to Kansas City for a dealer delivery. On that same trip, I remember visiting the Oldsmobile dealer, which I think was nearby to see the new Rocket V-8 Oldsmobiles. I remembe him looking at those cars and saying that this is what Packard needed.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/3/13 11:59
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved