Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Engine oil
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim
See User information
Just curious who uses what weight by region/season? Read some saying somewhere about using 20W50 or some such brew.

Been using 10W30 and have added a can of STP last time and probably will continue in Southern California in the 288.

Posted on: 2008/1/31 12:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine oil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I use Shell Rotella-T diesel oil here in western Pa.

Posted on: 2008/1/31 12:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I usually use Shell Rotella T in 15W40 grade or other diesel oil in 15/40 if on sale.

Posted on: 2008/1/31 13:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Shell Rotella T or Mobil DelVac, either in SAE15W-40 is my choice as well. If you can, get the now discontinued formula with the higher ZDDP levels; it's identified by having an API rating of CI-4 or CI-4+. Though it's been out of manufacture for some time now, I run across it frequently at the smaller auto parts stores. The additive package has been reduced in the current (CJ-4) formula due to catalytic converters on diesel trucks.

Posted on: 2008/1/31 13:35
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

packardclipper
See User information
Gentlemen:
You took me by surprise with the use of Rotella.
Can y'all comment on why the preferred use of diesel lube oil in gasoline engine? Additives? Other issues?
Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/2/1 8:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
ZDDP (zinc diakyl dithiophosphate), an EP additive, was greatly reduced in SM-rated oils for gasoline engines to prevent premature failure of contemporary catalytic converters.

Oils rated API CI-4 (and CI-4 Plus) for diesel engines had much higher levels of ZDDP, but with converters now being required on those engines, ZDDP is also reduced in CJ-4.

I suspect it won't be long before a great influx of oil products with higher levels of ZDDP become available for the collector car market.

Posted on: 2008/2/1 10:19
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim
See User information
Gee, don't think I've ever see those out here.Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/2/1 13:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Both Red Line (a botique oil formulator) and Castrol have recently introduced additive-rich specialty oils for the (non-catalytic converter) collector car market. Red Line advertises in CCCA News Bulletin and other publications.

Posted on: 2008/2/1 14:44
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

packardclipper
See User information
Thank you Brian and Owen.
BTW, I have a car buddy (races SCCA) who, upon advice from a race car mechanic, used Red Line to cure syncro problems in a Nissan Z car.
He had no 2nd syncro, replaced the oil, and in a couple hundred miles, he had a syncro again.
Strange, but true.

Posted on: 2008/2/2 12:20
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim
See User information
Guess I'll just stick to straight Valvoline 30 for warmer weather. Actually since it doesn't get below 60 when I actually use the car I could leave that in year round. Was mostly wondering how low you go in the frigid East.

Back in the 60s STP was experimented with for things such as gearbox woes and tons more applications so there is probably something to the Redline thing.

Posted on: 2008/2/6 12:30
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved