Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: 55-56 Senior Dash Screen Question (Mystery holes)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I was never able to determine what the mystery hole (to left of clock) was intended originally to be, but I remain convinced that it was a factory hole. The precision of the holes too closely matches the other holes on the screen in the cars.

Anyway, the dashboard pictured the 'new' one in my 400 and the screen, as you all remember came from my '55 parts Patrician. Also as seen, a Packard emblem, I think from a '54 Caribbean, will now cover the hole unless I find something better.

What do you all think?

Attach file:

jpg  (151.80 KB)
20_4baff73934e79.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (173.35 KB)
20_4baff76b855fd.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (125.62 KB)
20_4baff778afba2.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/3/28 19:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The dash turned out nicely but the hole will probably forever be a mystery. I'm just as convinced it was something done by a dealer since no one has come forward with any documentation showing any factory option there like there is for the same location on the other side of radio.

The crest looks good although that one appears a bit large--but better than the hole. I don't know if packards1 has any more senior AC bezels for sale but that might be an option if you wanted to go with a slightly modified or halfway integrated behind dash AC unit. Use the vents on the normally supplied or optional brackets under dash but the controls in dash. Would need a bit of adapting but do-able.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 20:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My sense is that the Packard crest is a bit too large for the proportion of the space - and the car has plenty of traditional Packard graphic features. How about something smaller and of a more personal nature? In the pix of my dash, in the very far right is a square brass plaque which the original owner added. It's engraved with his monogram. When I bought the car I promised the original owner I'd not remove it, and if I did I'd also have a hole to fill. Just a thought.....and a bit smaller than mine, maybe just enough to cover the hole.

Attach file:

jpg  (136.46 KB)
177_4bb00283a1a7d.jpg 1184X888 px

Posted on: 2010/3/28 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
On a 55 Patrician I had, that hole contained the rear seat speaker switch. The car had air and the hole where the speaker switch normally would go contained the air control.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 21:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The rear speaker switch has been suggested and that is certainly a possibility and makes as much sense as anything else. Do you know if the AC in your car was the factory type? If so & dealer installed the switch in an unused hole instead of the factory location between lighter and radio, would sure be an interesting arrangement to work the rheostat.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 21:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
So, if the car that the new dash came from had A/C, that might help to get an understanding.

The AC control nearer the driver (where the speaker switch would have been) would make sense. Also, a handy balance control near the passenger would make sense, too. Having the front speaker right in front of the passenger could literally be a headache --my mom always wanted the radio turned down for that reason.

A balance switch, close to the passenger allows him or her to adjust the volume toward the back speaker... up to 100% if the driver really cranked up the radio. Of course, any passengers in the back would then get blasted, especially on the passenger side. Oh well, can't keep everybody happy all the time!

Posted on: 2010/3/28 22:19
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Makes sense but again depends on the type of AC & switch.

The factory switch/rheostat combination is huge -- 4 inches in diameter by 4 deep by almost 5 high. Mounts under the ledge that forms bottom of defroster duct and is operated by a short (2 1/2") flex cable from the knob on dash. Any location other than factory such as the normal speaker hole being mentioned and don't see how that one could be operated. Even on the other side of radio, think there would be a problem due to obstructions.

All other units I am familiar with normally in Packards were either in trunk and required 2 or more switches or were hang on units and had controls integrated.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 22:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Oh, I thought you mentioned it as a possibility in an earlier post. Did you double-check on the size and location of the rheostat and change your mind? Since the rheostat was turned by a cable from the knob, it might be possible (but not probable) to reach it from just about anywhere on the dash with the proper length cable...

All pure speculation, I guess.

UNSOLVED MYSTERIES of the Packard Motorcar!

I think the 'dash plaque' idea to cover the hole is great. Very classy and maybe wouldn't even deduct "points" at a show (if that's what you're into).

Just a little gold rectangle with owner's name and maybe something official-looking like Production Number (the way they used to put them on limited-run specialty cars). Or just "1955 400" identification. That might be pretty cool.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 23:02
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Oh, I thought you mentioned it as a possibility in an earlier post. Did you double-check on the size and location of the rheostat and change your mind?

No, didn't change my mind and sorry if I misled you earlier. Knew it would be a tough fit and was the reason for asking if it was a factory unit and if so, the rheostat operation would be interesting.

One thing I have learned however, is there is always someone coming up with ingenious ways of doing and mounting things so always open to ideas. There is also the possibility the factory switch was not used and something was substituted but not sure what else was out there in that era.

As to using a longer cable--probably not as the rheostat is very stiff and the original short one barely does the job--any longer and it would twist unless enclosed in an outer sheath of some type.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 9:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I've solved my dash screen mystery hole issue. Please see attached pics!

Attach file:

jpg  (43.50 KB)
20_4c0da3bb87364.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.57 KB)
20_4c0da3c759411.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/6/7 20:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved