Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 218

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: 32 Exhaust wrap
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, though I pulled that service letter extract from a different source, I'm about 99% sure it's already on this website in those copies of the 10th and 11th series service letters of mine which you scanned and added a while back, not that I'm going to go back and check. The copy I used is from the reprinted volume of 7th thru 12th series service letters. I've probably not seen more than 2 or 3 9th or 10th series Supers or Twelves with driver's side exhaust over the years, they were probably very old original cars.

I'm also a bit surprised Fred didn't know about it either, but sitting down in a comfy old recliner on a rainy or winter night with a nice glass of wine or single malt and reading a really good book is one thing; the same situation but reading thru a couple of hundred pages of old Service Letters is not quite as appealing - most of us only resort to reading them when we're desperately searching for a bit of information, not to just expand our knowledge ahead of the need.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 22:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed Dave. The point I was trying to make was that this is the type of information that needs to be archived in general, not just speaking to that particular service letter.

The service letters can be a most difficult to look through as the piece of information you are seeking could be published many years after a particular model series or model year. That is why I think the Service Index's that Brian has been working on is an essential for being able to locate this information without reading through every service letter.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 23:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I spoke with Joe, the owner of Waldron. He appeared readily wanting me to have a correct system on my car and to be a satisfied customer. We discussed at length the service letters changing the possible location of the exhaust tail pipe. he did locate some pictures wehich show the tail pipe exiting the left rear. So we agreed that I would send back his tail pipe and also send him my tailpipe section from the car which he will replicate. Since I don't an engine in the car, I can only estimate how long the tail pipe should be. So he will make it longer and when I'm ready to install, I will just cut off the extra length that fits into the muffler. I am going to pick up shipping both ways.

I think it's a fair deal, and I like the way Joe treated me as a customer. Thumbs up for Waldron.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
This gets interesting. I went to remove the tail pipe section today. On the right side of the car floor right above where the exhaust loops around the rear axle, there is an indentation on the floor to give clearance to the exhaust. There is no such indentation on the other side. Also there are no holes for an exhaust bracket on the rear left of the car. So I'm thinking maybe the exhaust came from the factory exiting on the right. Perhaps other 32s had it exiting on the left but a coupe roadster had it on the right.

Also I have a late 32 delivery car so don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Posted on: 2010/3/27 21:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I got under the car today and did some further analysis. Even if I used the cross over tail pipe section, the exhaust system is short by about 17". The difference is entirely in the length of the muffler. Appears to me I was maybe shipped an exhaust for a 900 or 901 which has a shorter wheelbase.

So based on the floor indentations, exhaust hanger holes and the length of the exhaust system, I think Waldron shipped me the wrong exhaust system for my car.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 22:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Ken,

What's the latest on your exhaust project?

Jim

Posted on: 2010/4/8 23:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
The owner of Waldron won't call me back. I got his wife three days in a row, and she said he was going to call me back. i wanted to discuss the exhaust in more detail as I discovered that the muffler being too short was a major issue. So last week I shipped it all back except the exhaust header pipe which was correct. I asked him to make me a muffler the correct length and the exhaust pipe without the crossover. He should had gotten it Tuesday, but I haven't heard from him.

Not sure why he won't call me back expecially if you consider if I used the crossover pipe, he would had been over a foot and half short.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 22:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Well, that is strange. Perhaps Joe is away at a show. I am sure it will work out ok.

Keep us posted Ken,
Jim

Posted on: 2010/4/9 23:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
No, he was there according to his wife. As I said i gave up after the 3rd try. I'm in sales and I'm amazed at some of these companies treat their customers.

I had put his company on the Packard's of Oregon website for links to companies, but it's off there now.

Posted on: 2010/4/10 21:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Well the owner called me today over a week after he receives my stuff back. He's wondering why I sent back the muffler as we didn't talk about it. I called him back late and left a voice mail. I explained the situation and told him we would had discussed the muffler if you had returned one of my three calls that I made to you trying to discuss it.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 22:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved