Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 129

BigKev, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

resistor plugs in '56 V8s
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
OK this may be the world's dumbest question, but automobile electrics/ignition is not my strong point - so I assume it is OK to use resistor plugs NGK BPR4ES in my 352? The parts dealer didn't have either the non-resistor BP4ES, or BPR5ES plugs mentioned in another thread...??

Posted on: 2010/6/18 13:29
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Re: resistor plugs in '56 V8s
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't know. The real questions ARE:
How did u (OR ANYONE) come up that number????

Did the parts store give u any reason WHY the NONresistor plug can not be ordered?????

What does "B" and the "P" and "E" and the "4" and the "S" indicate about the plug????

So far what we have is alot of owners throwing alot of numbers around with no specific source reference for the plug numbers nor any characteristics aboout the plug that the numbers mite define.

So far all we have is some number that some parts jockey verbalized for the application. The same parts jockey was probably flipping hamburgers last week at McDonalds or the parts store just has alot those plugs on the shelf they need to move.

I'm not trying to be critical or sacastic. I'm trying to make a point that unless the CHARACTERISTICS of the plug can be determined then there is no way to know.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 14:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
See post #6:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5102&forum=3

It defines the characteristics for the AC plug (45XLS now difficult to find).

To determine the NGK compatability one must be able to deciper the NGK number just like the AC number is decipered in post #6 above.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 14:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If I correctly decoded that chart you found but not able to download, BPR4ES decodes as
B 14mm
P Projected insulator
R Resistor
4 Heat range 4 from 2=hot to 11=cold
E Thread reach 19mm
S Standard 2.5mm center electrode

Posted on: 2010/6/18 14:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
SO then. If we compare that tot he 45XLS:

"4" = 14 mm.
"5" is middle Heat range (3 thru 8(3 is cold 8 is hot )).

"XL" = extra long reach (3/4 for 14mm).

"S" = Extended Tip (except 7/8 threaded plugs).

NGK:

B 14mm
P Projected insulator
R Resistor
4 Heat range 4 from 2=hot to 11=cold
E Thread reach 19mm
S Standard 2.5mm center electrode

We can see that the NGK is very close EXCEPT for the heat range. THE NGK "4" is rather hot compared to the AC "5" within it's range. Probably ok for weak engine and colder operations. (actualy the AC range is "2" thru "8" and Not "3" thru 8). Probably better off with an NGK heat range of 6 or 7 for general use.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Probably better off with an NGK heat range of 6 or 7 for general use.
The NGK 7 is a relatively cold turbocharger plug. I would use 5 for normal driving and maybe 6 for high performance use.

thnx jack vines

Posted on: 2010/6/18 21:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
One should have all the facts before stating an opinion. That said, I came up with the NGK number based on an NGK site that spelled out what each code was. I wanted a non-resistor plug and did not want a Champion The AC plugs were getting hard to find. That was several years ago.
As far as flipping burgers, just make sure you spell it with a "U".

Posted on: 2010/6/18 23:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"That said, I came up with the NGK number based on an NGK site that spelled out what each code was"

Yes. That's fine. But how did u know what characteristics to look up the NGK codes for to begin with???? Characteristics of the plug for the 56 V8 is not specified in the service manual nor anywhere else that i could ever find. ONLY in the 1976 AC manual.

Posted on: 2010/6/19 8:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
It wasn't rocket science. The site I looked at also gave crossover info. I didn't save it - wish I had.
For those who like Champions, try to find an N18 or Champion equivalent. If you don't like my choice, that is your prerogative. However, don't slander others or assume you know how their choices were made when you don't have all the facts. I have been running the NGK plugs for several years with exemplary service. I don't recommend anything. I do say what has worked for me.

Posted on: 2010/6/19 10:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day All, I too prefer to run NGK plugs in my cars and have never had a problem with them. I note that Randy runs a hotter plug (BP4ES) than mine (BPR5ES), although mine are resistor type which I understand are better at minimising radio interfernce and potential eletronic damage to the Petronix electronic kit I fitted to the distributor. I also note that Jack V suggests a heat range of 5 is about right so I think I will stick with this type for now. At around $4.50, they are a bit dearer over here in good old OZ, but similar to other brands and readily available. Also, I found the NGK part numbering system on the AUS NGK website. Go to ngk.co.au, then to Product Information, then to Part Numbering System. By the way, I might have inferred on the ignition advance curve thread that I was having pinging problems but this is not the case when using mid-range premium unleaded (ie, 95 RON). I was more concerned about reconditioning the distributor to maximise power and mileage, while continuing to avoid pinging. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2010/6/19 20:28
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved