Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
173 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 172

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard in wartime
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Rusty O\'Toole wrote:

The US joined in on December 7 1941, more than two long years later.

Rusty, As far as the European side of the war it was Germany and Italy which declared war on the US on December 11,1941 not the other way around. Of course by then the US was so heavily involved in sending war materiel to Britain it was for all intents already at war with Germany et al.

Posted on: 2010/7/21 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Thanks for the video on the Tucker Combat Car. Very interesting to see it in action.

It looks very modern for the 40s, more like a dune buggy from the 60s especially the tires and body.

I never knew it was approved for service or manufactured in quantity, I thought there was only a few prototypes. But the end of the film shows a row of combat cars at the Rahway New Jersey factory, I count at least 20 of them.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Later:

Further research shows that the Dutch bought a number of combat cars, which were made by the American Armament Corporation in Rahway.

Before the order could be delivered Holland was over run by the German army.

Wonder what happened to them? Tucker offered them to the American armed forces so some must have been sent out for testing. Wonder if they were all scrapped?

------------------------------------------------------------

Still later:

On the Tucker BBS there is a statement from Frank Tucker, that the combat car prototype was taken to New Orleans and got left at the Higgins Tucker Boat Works during the war. It was probably scrapped.

There is further speculation that the Dutch deal was never signed and the cars never built. And that all those cars in the publicity film are a matte shot or trick photograph.

So, the scene at the beginning of the Tucker movie where he takes the family for ice cream in 1945 could not have happened, the car was no longer in Michigan by that time and probably no longer existed.

Posted on: 2010/7/21 18:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
And didn't Canada have the third largest navy (above the ocean) at the end of the war?

Martin K. O'Toole

Posted on: 2010/7/21 22:19
1940 Model 1807 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Gerd,

Thanks for the follow-up. I appreciate your extra effort.

Dave

Posted on: 2010/8/11 23:35
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved