Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
249 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 247

Gary Kulp, JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

The Packard plant just can't stay out of the local news...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information

Posted on: 2010/9/20 12:53
 Top  Print   

Re: The Packard plant just can't stay out of the local news...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Guess Detroit needs it's cut of the fees, being broke and all. They will just have to leave it to the arsonist crowd, but seems like anyone hastening the process of demolition at this stage would be applauded, not cited.

Posted on: 2010/9/20 13:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Well, the Packard plant is in the news again--my local news--2000 miles away from it's location.

I opened the Fresno Bee this morning and on page 1 was a quarter page spread of one of the interior courtyard shots showing multiple buildings in all their dubious glory. Seems like one of our candidates for governor compared Fresno to Detroit so the Bee picked an appropriate picture.

Fresno has it's issues, but we have not quite reached that state yet.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 8:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
............no, you haven't. We had a good laugh over that this morning. We have worked long and hard to get to this level of dysfunction, and don't appreciate any wanna-be's trying to steal our thunder.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 14:02
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

A man who owns one!
See User information
My brother and I took a road trip to see the plant last january. We stopped at the Packard Inn, what a $#it hole of a place. At the lobby we asked about the plant across the street. The receptionist said that there were fires inside each and every night. Only on occasion would the fire dept run off the vagrents and extinguish the fires. And that was only when they were big fires. When I say lobby I meant a window with bullet proof glass and steel bars the customer still stood in the elements without so much as an overhang to keep from getting rained on. We arrived at almost dusk and were way to scared to go inside the building. We drove around and down the middle but there was too much trash rubble and debris to go all the way through the center. They said the day we went the fire trucks had just left. When you drive anywhere in the area you feel like your driving in a third world country. It was worse than the pics of katrina. There were burnt cars and mattresses and old appliences stacked up and down the streets sometimes 12ft high. I drove from atlanta ga to detroit hoping to go inside and find a letter head or a tool or some sort of momento that had been lost in time. I left empty handed and very disappointed, I now wish I had stayed home and looked at pics of it's hayday. It's beyond repair and should be demolished, even if they start with just the steel beams!

And I hate that that's the lasting impression of Packard on the city of detroit. What ever group of investors that gentleman is representing should recieve a swift kick in the seat for letting that beautiful building become the derelict blight on society it has.

Posted on: 2010/9/25 12:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
sounds like i better go packing.....j/k

maybe best to have fellow Packard friend from Detriot show me around so i don't look like a total turist.

i doubt i'll get up there anytime before they demolish it...so i'm not holding my breath.

i did finally pay off that wood i bought from the plant. it ships out on monday YAY!!

Hank

Posted on: 2010/9/25 23:00
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

cli55er wrote:
sounds like i better go packing.....j/k

maybe best to have fellow Packard friend from Detriot show me around so i don't look like a total turist.

i doubt i'll get up there anytime before they demolish it...so i'm not holding my breath.

i did finally pay off that wood i bought from the plant. it ships out on monday YAY!!

Hank

Hank, you did it right: If you can't go to the plant, let the plant come to you. Like you, I also bought some of the salvaged wood. I gave each brother a piece as a birthday present, and I think I will make a lamp out of mine.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/10/4 14:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Yeah i am glad they saved the wood and we are all able to buy it. if anyone doesn't know about it go to www.authenticpackard.com and order yourself some. Paul is great to work with.

i bought 2 doors w/ glass and 45' of crown molding for my foyer.

i'll probably buy more in the future.

I am also excited about them shooting the new transformers there. i hope they honor it well in the movie, but either way at least i'll have something to show my son that he will be totally stocked about and it will be cool to see transformers crawling all over the plant. SWEET!

Posted on: 2010/10/4 14:28
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved