Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 231

BigKev, Don B, humanpotatohybrid, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

What's it Worth, Part 2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi again,

When it rains it pours. And right now it seems to be raining Packards around here.
I just found a local listing for a '55 Packard Patrician. The seller states that the body and dash are in very good shape the upholstery in bad shape - car hasn't run in 30 years.
I intend to go and see the car if it hasn't already been sold.
The asking price is $3,000 - almost what I'm paying for my '51. Assuming the story is true, about what should I be offering. The Collector Car Market review puts a '55 Patrician @ $1,300 for a condition #5 and $3,450 for a condition #4. This, I suppose falls in between.
Any guidance would really be appreciated.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/23 13:48
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: What's it Worth, Part 2
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Hello Jim,

I have seen this car. It's in Gladstone/Milwaukie. It has been for sale off & on for about 2 years now. They haven't budged on their $3000 price yet either. The car body/dash is decent. The seat upholstery is trashed/tattered. However the car being stuck for 30 years means you will probably have to invest 2-3 thousand more into getting the engine rebuilt. Than you've got to invest another thousand in brakes (if you have someone else do them, less if you do all the labor yourself). The Patrician Uphostery is quite expensive to get done correctly, but if you want to do a close "custom" interior, that would work.

To me, it is a $1500 dollar car.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 13:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
oops, I clicked twice on submit.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 13:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks for the response - that is good to know. The engine doesn't bother me all that much; I've rebuilt engines before and I can do brakes but usually have it done by someone else. What I'm afraid of is the Twin Ultramatic. When I was trying for that '55 400 in LA I asked my transmission guy about these transmissions. He said his shop won't touch them and he only knows of one guy in about 300 miles who is qualified - Tom at Transmission Exchange here in Portland. I called Tom and asked for worst case and without taking a breath he said $3,280. I didn't think to ask him about just a re-seal but after sitting for 30 years it's going to need a re-seal at the very least. The offer I was thinking of was just about what you said. I really appreciate the help as I'm still real new to Packards.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/23 22:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
http://ultramaticdynamics.com/service.html

I don't have any personal experience with this shop, but have heard good things about his work. He does many upgrades using improved modern friction materials etc. Rebuilt exchange is around $2000 with shipping including rebuilt converter.

I have a '56 Pat I am thinking about selling. Black with factory air. Needs an engine rebuild (blown head gasket I think), one rear door is dented but I have an excellent replacement door that goes with the car. Trans and suspension were working well when the car was parked, about 15 years ago.

The car is in indoor storage in Tulsa, OK. Drop me a note if interested.

John

Posted on: 2010/10/24 14:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi John

I am interested....
My e-mail address is jdlpdx@comcast.net.
I wish we lived closer.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/24 15:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Hey Jim,

I found this '55 Patrician in Oregon City, Oregon for $2,000.

It sounds pretty good for the price. From the Ad:

1955 Packard Patrician for sale
I hate to do it. *PROJECT* For sale, 1955 Packard Patrician 4D, 352ci w/4BBL, AT, PS, PB, PW, PA, power seats, underseat heater, torsion bar suspension, skirts, hub caps, two tone light blue w/dk blue roof and bottom, clear title on Oregon SP plates reg'd to me (Oregon residents you only have to register them once!), light blue leather interior w/original dark blue cloth inserts w/silver paisley design, no cracks on steering wheel, all glass intact, all chrome and stainless, everything is there. Engine turns by hand, I pulled the plugs when I got it, and put Marvels mystery oil in each cylinder. Purchased from Matthews Memory Lane Motors in the early 1980's for a high school age kid. He didn't want to drive it ("not cool like a Honda"), so it was driven by the parents until something broke. It was parked in old folks garage in 1984, and slowly covered with boxes, until I bought it a couple years ago. I have never gotten a chance to tear into it.

INTERIOR NEEDS: carpet, dash vinyl, some minor stitching where the threads broke. Driver's door put back together (bought it that way).

ENGINE: Unknown.

TRANSMISSION: Appears to be stuck in reverse, I was told that this is a common occurance when they were towed backward. Had to be done to get it out of garage.

BODY: Original paint is in good shape, couple thin spots on roof with light surface rust on these spots. There are two small dents on the body, and some damage to a couple pieces of the stainless. I have been buffing the oxidation out of the paint whenever I get a few minutes to do so.

MISC: Gas tank needs to be boiled out, brakes need to be gone through, etc etc.

I bought this after my wife said we needed a more 'family' car to haul the kids around in. Shortly after I bought it, my daughter needed surgery and has since been diagnosed with cerebral palsey. I have had no time to do anything to this car except collect parts. It has been kept under cover on my RV pad since I got it. I also have collected misc trim parts, a bumper end, work manuals, tune up parts, gaskets, and such.

I would like $2000 OBO for everything. I don't need any vehicle trades, however a partial trade of something interesting I might consider.

Just saw my typo, car is in Oregon City, just outside of Portland.

Posted four pictures, there's some more in one of my albums.

Link to Ad click HERE.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.27 KB)
633_4cca5991023c3.jpg 640X471 px

jpg  (23.79 KB)
633_4cca599a6e664.jpg 518X388 px

jpg  (31.92 KB)
633_4cca59bcca6b9.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/10/29 0:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hey, thank you for the tip!
There were a lot of hoops to jump through to reply to the posting, but I left him my e-mail address. Hopefully, he won't have the trouble replying the way some have told me about.
I'll keep you up to date on my "quest".

Thanks again,

Jim

Posted on: 2010/10/29 1:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
That '55 Packard in Oregon City you told me about that you said sounded "pretty good"? Well Saturday I went out to see it and while I didn't get to hear how it sounded, it did look pretty good. So good in fact that while it is still in OC, it is now MY '55 Packard.
It does have some issues. While the engine turns, the owner before the guy I bought it from had somebody work on it as it had suddenly died in traffic and had to be towed home. Once inside the garage the somebody jacked up the RF corner and removed the starter. So there it was, RF up in the air, LR down on the ground. And it stayed that way for 23 years until the seller bought it. Unfortunately, when he lowered the RF the LR stayed pretty much on the ground. I'm hoping that once the starter is back in and the electrical system hooked up the suspension system will still work and the car will "right it's self". The seller also said the transmission is "stuck in reverse" so the car can be pushed backwards but not forward. I'm not sure, but I think I may have "cured" that on Saturday. I'm also hoping that it's brake related. Time will tell.
By the way, where is the suspension "ON/OFF" switch on the '55s? I downloaded the Owner's Manual but it doesn't give a location.
One way or the other I hope to get it in MY garage this coming weekend.
The car its self has a fascinating history which I'll retell later. For the moment I'll just say the interior is incredible. The pale blue leather is still glove soft and the fabric only shows wear on the driver's seat area and that is just that some of the metallic silver threads are missing. The original light blue paint is still shiny though the darker blue on the roof has some exposed primer showing through. It also comes with boxes of new mechanical and trim parts. Some of the trim is for a '56 but most is for a '55.
I'll take a bunch of pictures during the move.
And Oh yeah, I did get the VIN so I will enter it in the register very soon.
On top of all that, the '51 enters the shop on Wednesday for it's valve job so I'll have a Packard to drive around on nice winter and spring days.
I'd still like to get a '56 at some point but for right now, I am delighted!

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/31 18:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Jim L. in OR wrote: That '55 Packard in Oregon City ......it is now MY '55 Packard.....And Oh yeah, I did get the VIN so I will enter it in the register very soon.......
Jim,

Comgratulations, looks like the start of a fleet of Packards. Will be good to see it in the Registry.

Posted on: 2010/10/31 19:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved