Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 218

Ross, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

clock hands
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
I aquired a 1946 glove box clock, and would like to clean it to see if I can get it to work. How can I take off the hands to disasseble the clock? Thank you all in advance

Posted on: 2010/12/29 10:48
 Top  Print   

Re: clock hands
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I believe that they just come off with a little gentle pressure, if i'm not mistaken.

Careful cleaning the face, i found some gentle scrubbing was cleaning the number marks right off and had to repaint a couple.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I recently took my Borg clock on my 47 Packard out due to non operating condition. There are 3-4 screws holding the unit in the glove box. Once out the back as I remember comes off revealing the workings of the clock. I used a very light machine oil to lub the gears etc. There is a set of contacts that wind the clock. I used some contact cleaner on them also lightly sanding them with a emery board. I exercised the clock gears by manually cocking the lever several times. I then connected the clock up to check operation. I had to repeat the above 2-3 times before it would continuous work.

Now keeps perfect time.

here is a link to an article that discusses the repair:
http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/article/Putting_the_Ticktock_Back_in_Your_Old_Car_Clock/

David

Posted on: 2010/12/29 13:09
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
I'll try that very carefully,
Thanks

Posted on: 2010/12/29 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
The main point is that you do not have to remove the hands of the clock. The Borg clock is a unique design incorporating the old mechanical style with a electrial winding mechanisam. If necessary I will take another look at the clock to determine how to I got the back cover off.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 20:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
Thanks for the info. I did take the back of the clock off,
oiled it with some zebco reel oil, and the clock statred to tick. The clock does run when I manually wind it ( by rotating the electric winding mechanism. However, the light socket does not work, eventhough the bulb is good, so, I suspect that I will have to clean all the contacts or replace the wires. This clock was made by the George Borg
Corp. of Chicago. It could have been made in my old neighborhood. Used to make all kinds of stuff in my old neighborhood form Simonsen toolboxes, to Schwinn bikes, to Johnson ice skates, ot O'Henry candy bars.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 10:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Here is a link to the paper manual on the Borg clock which was attached to the wiring harness of my '47 clock.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?83

Posted on: 2010/12/30 12:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
There is a fuse inline with the clock-check it. Check if you have voltage at that point. The voltage comes from the body electric point on the wiring diagram. Check to see if you have voltage there. You can wire the clock up across the battery to see if it works-remember + is ground. I had to clean the contacts several times before I got it work consistently.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 13:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Hey Dave! I had that attached too! Amazed it lasted all those years up there!

Posted on: 2010/12/30 13:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Back to the basic question-did you get the clock working?

Posted on: 2011/1/1 20:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved