Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
66 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 65

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Survival rates of pre-war cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I agree with Owen about the difficulties of looking at club rosters and IF the member lists their cars etc. Each roster that someone or club has is dependant on someones offer to give out information. They may be members one year and not the next. Have the car and sell it.

I am not familiar with any PI roster keepers, but PAC does have roster keepers for different years and models. The 55-56 roster keeper, the last one I saw had about 162 of the 56 Caribbeans convertibles found. NOT ALL are complete cars, but they were identified.

You can contact the PAC roster keepers at www.packardclub.org

Even Packard made estimates on how many cars were still on the road look at Packard Service Letter Vol 16 NO 10 May 15 1942. "How many cars have tires?

www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SL-VOL16NO10.pdf

Posted on: 2011/1/11 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Apparently there are and have been various independent attempts to count survivors. See post 2 or 3 of the following link:

http://forums.aaca.org/f134/starkweather-packard-history-channel-179879.html

The roster, if i can call it that, in my possession references several times something called "The Packard Registry". Googleing didn't help much. ONly external posts from various websites that seem to reference "The Packard Registry" for counting survivors. No actual web site called The Packard Registry is produced from Google. I do remeber going to "the Packard Registry" website many years ago tho. Apparently no longer exists.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 11:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 55-56 roster keeper, the last one I saw had about 162 of the 56 Caribbeans convertibles found.

I believe the number of 162 1956 Caribbeans is a total of both the convertibles (5699) and hardtops (5697). I'm in very frequent contact with PAC's roster keeper for those models and will ask him for a current total for each, and post it here. I believe the convertibles will be about 80 or so.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 11:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The roster, if i can call it that, in my possession references several times something called "The Packard Registry". Googleing didn't help much. ONly external posts from various websites that seem to reference "The Packard Registry" for counting survivors.

If I recall correctly, that was a project of Robert Marvin, I have a hardcopy somewhere but it's VERY old and no doubt hopelessly out of date.

Just happened to notice in reading the minutes of PAC's last board meeting that 6965 Packards are owned by the membership.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 12:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Interesting. See post #15 about "The Packard Registry":

http://forums.aaca.org/f134/starkweather-packard-history-channel-179879.html

edit: Corrected URL.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 12:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PackardV8, your link comes up as "website not found".

Posted on: 2011/1/11 12:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I corrected the URL, Thanks Owen. AND u are rite about the Marvin guy and the The Packard Registry connexion.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 12:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
From the last V8 roster I have, there were 95 56 Caribbean hardtops listed. This is all forms of cars found, from parts cars to restored from the beginning of the roster to the next barn find.

Ebay and other internet sales sites have produced many new roster finds.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 12:34
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is a little simulation I ran which shows the Survival Population of a car model over a span of 75 years. This is based upon a 5% attrition rate per year.

For for example is we start with 10000 car,, after 1 year only 9500 would still be around. Based on this formula:

ThisYearsPopulation = (LastYearsPopulation * (.05))

So for year 2 we run the same calculation again. So from 9500 cars we end up with 9025.

Rinse and repeat.

Obviously this is a generalization and doesn't take into account collector status of a particular model vehicle and other economic and world events (WWI scrap drives, etc). I actually think in some terms this 5% rate is generous, and the rate is actually closer to 8% or 9%.

Attach file:

jpg  (77.03 KB)
1_4d2c997948ebd.jpg 263X939 px

Posted on: 2011/1/11 12:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Data as promised: Info from the PAC roster keeper for 56 Caribbeans.

5699 (conv.); 134 known survivors of which 10 are very poor or parts cars, 8 known to have been scrapped. So 142 accounted for.

5697 (hdtp); 75 known survivors of which 8 are very poor or parts cars, 15 known to have been scrapped. So 86 accounted for.

Edited for clarity.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 16:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved