Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 230

William Grosz, Ross, Don B, Trevor, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Driveshaft/U joint issues on 56 Exec
Just popping in
Just popping in

olechesterpackard
See User information
Friends,

I now know the source of the intermittent knocking emanating from my car. On a run down a country road today, at 45 mph, I got a "crunch", then the sound of the driveshaft hitting pavement. Fortunately, I got the car out of gear, so it looks like no harm to the tranny. Inspection shows that a cup is broken off the differential u-joint flange, and off of the prop shaft rear u joint flange.

Questions:

1. Kanter has the differential flange, but does anyone know if the propshaft rear flange is detachable or cast/forged on? 2. Secondly, does Kanter carry a rear flange if it is detachable. 3. If it is not detachable, has anyone heard of a propshaft/driveshaft/machine shop being able to weld a substitute on? All thoughts appreciated.

Secondly, this triggers issues about my ultramatic. I have a sloppy shifter. While you can "feel" the gears through the shifter, the indicator is always all over the place. Anyone rebuilt these? Kanter says I should post here because they don't have the bits for them anymore.

Thanks,

John Robinson

Posted on: 2011/3/19 17:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Driveshaft/U joint issues on 56 Exec
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the transmission, when you say the indicator is all over the place---As you move the lever and feel the gears, once the detent is felt does the lever have a lot of slop on either side of the gear or does that feel fairly solid and it is the indicator needle only that is moving.

If it is the first situation and the whole lever assy feels loose with several inches of travel at the detent, than a screw holding the potmetal control valve lever piece in trans is probably loose on the shaft and needs to be corrected before it strips completely leaving you without any gears.

If it is only the indicator, there is a clamp arrangement under the dash on the steering column which connects the shift tube to the pointer that may be the issue.

Let us know which it is and some suggestions to fix it will be forthcoming.

Drive shaft places can build entire shafts so they should be able to come up with something for your repair but others have more expertise in that area so best let them give their recommendations.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 18:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

olechesterpackard
See User information
Howard,

You hit on something. It's a mix. On the shifter, you can feel it distinctly click and "bite" on park, neutral, low, and reverse. Where I get in trouble is between drive and high. It's hard to feel one from the other. But I think there is even more of just an indicator issue- "Neutral" takes up 1/2 of the quadrant and bounces itself around a little. Park will do the same, on occasion. Therefore, I "feel" the gears by the distinct bumps on each gear (the detents) rather than paying a lot of indication to the shifter. This is only really a practical problem on drive and high.

As to driveshaft- I am glad to hear that a yoke on the propshaft can be redone/rebuilt. Anyone ever do this? Anyone use the Kanter parts before?

Thanks again, Howard.

John

Posted on: 2011/3/19 19:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Hows about I just sell you a complete driveshaft? Repack the joints, bolt it in and go. PM me for details. Is the flange on the diff damaged?

From what you describe the little shifter arm that is on the linkage inside the tranny pan is loose on its shaft. Tighten its little set screw, then drill a 3/16 hole clean through the arm and the shaft. Pound in a 3/16 rollpin and you are set for life.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 19:46
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

olechesterpackard
See User information
Ross,

Where are you? Check for a PM from me. Need the driveshaft. Thanks, JER

Posted on: 2011/3/28 13:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved