Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55 Patrician side trim
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

vicpick58
See User information
I found this ad on e-bay for a 55 Patrician.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-Packard-Patrician-sedan-/110695547911?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19c5f80407

I have not seen one with this side trim, other than the photos of the 25,000 mile test car. (if you cannot see the e-bay ad, the side trim looks like that on a Clipper DeLuxe.)

Was this trim available in 1955 or is this an early production car? I actually like it better than the usual part way foil trim piece.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 17:08
Former owner of: 1955 Clipper Constellation
1956 400
1956 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 Patrician side trim
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've never seen one or pictures like it but that doesn't mean anything. It looks to be a fairly easy conversion and some dealers did custom type treatments. The Esquire comes to mind as one conversion that was made and I think I remember reading about another. Would be interesting to know the serial number and where it came from. Maybe it was a very early car that escaped.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 17:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
My 2 cents, somebody took some of the orig trim off and had fun with clipper trim

Posted on: 2011/6/1 18:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi Gang,
I'm back after a long & slow recovery from an illness.
I think that trim set up was used on the pre-production cars. At any event it is the trim shown on the three Patricians in the "Showroom Scene" towards the back of the 1955 Senior Packard Owner's Manual.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 18:40
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
I saw this Patrician at a car show several years ago, and according to my notes, the serial number is 5582-3197.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
It looks like I'm still not quite ready for "Prime Time".
That showroom scene where the Patricians have the same side trim as the one on e-Bay is on page 6 of the big Packard Brochure for 1955. The one about the size of a copy of LIFE magazine. The Owner's Manual uses the production trim.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 20:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Even that brochure one looks a bit different to my eyes. The guy is standing in the way but to me it looks as if the front or top trim piece goes all the way to back edge of door whereas the one on ebay is half way. With that serial number, Fred has probably given a good answer. The owner or dealer must have had a few extra pieces of Clipper trim.

I think it was Packards1 that mentioned the car in that brochure was Allisons early test car. I believe he mentioned a couple of other anomalies from production cars although I don't remember what they were right now.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 20:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
From a design standpoint the car looks very awkward. I doubt Packard or any lesser manufacturer would experiment with something like this in its final form. Maybe when it is in clay and certainly not wih a serial # in the 3000's.
At times a current year car is fitted with the trim of the next year to see how it looks.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Even that brochure one looks a bit different to my eyes. The guy is standing in the way but to me it looks as if the front or top trim piece goes all the way to back edge of door whereas the one on ebay is half way. With that serial number, Fred has probably given a good answer. The owner or dealer must have had a few extra pieces of Clipper trim.

I think it was Packards1 that mentioned the car in that brochure was Allisons early test car. I believe he mentioned a couple of other anomalies from production cars although I don't remember what they were right now.

Now that you mention it, I think you're right (as usual) The trim is close, but not quite the same.

Also, I'm sure no early production car had the VIN quoted by ECAnthony.

It's an interesting study. If I were to do away with the "foil", I'd keep the upper molding but drop the lower that seems to grow out of the "vent". That would more or less mimic the side trim of the '55 Cadillac though.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 23:44
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

vicpick58
See User information
I asked the seller about the trim and he said the Packard has been the family for 20 years and it was that way when they got it. However it had been repainted sometime before and it may have been changed at that time.

Posted on: 2011/6/2 22:01
Former owner of: 1955 Clipper Constellation
1956 400
1956 Patrician
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved