Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 214

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Is this real
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
1953 Packard Mayfair Hardtop Convertible. I saw this listed as a members car for a club. I didn't think that Packard made a hardtop convertible. Any thoughts on this?

Posted on: 2011/7/7 15:10
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Is this real
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Yes, my first Packard was a 1952 Mayfair hardtop convertible.
Hardtops (started by Buick) were called hardtop convertibles.
My 56 400 has same designation. It was titled that way on my Pa. title. Remember this style started in 49?? I think.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 15:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
In the factory documentation, and most of the brochures Packard always refered to it as the "Packard Mayfair", "Packard Mayfair Hardtop" and "Packard Convertible" when referring to the two cars separately or the "Packard Mayfair & Convertible" or the "Packard Mayfair Hardtop & Convertible" when referring to both cars.

I have never found a place where there were run together as "Packard Mayfair Hardtop Convertible" being a single vehicle. Perhaps this was a designation of "body type" by the DMV, or over for some reason like most changes in language over time it got misinterrupted or just got ran together.

So this is interesting as when I hear the term "Hardtop Convertible" I think of the Fords that had an actual folding hardtop.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 10:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I haven't seen the term with Packards but I believe GM used "hardtop convertible " for 2 dr hardtop (usually with the stainless "bows" in the headliner). Marketing blather. Sort of like "all-weather phaeton" for convertible sedan and the modern use of "roadster" for 2 place convertible coupe, the Lincoln sedan caled the "town car" , and the especially bad "four door coupe" for a sedan with a roofline that's a bit better than a shoebox.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 10:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
my constellation has the stainless bows on the inside. kinda does resemble the inside of a convertible top.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 11:13
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved