Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 169

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Now if this could be used to make Packard parts
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
not sure what you're getting at with the PU. polyurethane, acrylate, and the skin (which is probably a complex blend of PVC, ABS and alkyl phthalate can all photo-degrade. All have some air permeability which I don't see as relevant. PU can accelerate the degradation of the PVC skin, but all of that is not at play in the acrylate part, which may have simply gotten warm enough to sag, as prototyping stuff is normally low strength so it fuses easily.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 14:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
bkazmer, my vague recollection is that I read about a fungal infestation in an irrigation system of a huge greenhouse complex, tomato nursery I believe. The expensive mistake was that the operators didn't change the plumbing at the end of ?? years. In this regard has been written about the sickliness (or perhaps better sick-making?) of polyurethane when used for ventilation systems.
Very likely a trifling objection considering the dozen, nay hundreds of various PU-materials.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 15:31
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
incorporate a fungicide in the plastic, problem solved. sounds like the wrong grade was used.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 15:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It's a small one but at least it is a step closer to that do it yourself Packard part becoming a reality.http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/09/californias-first-3d-printer-retail-store-to-sell-600-model/

Posted on: 2012/9/21 21:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
The Wall Street Journal, Thursday June 6, 2013 has an article on 3-D printing use by Ford for prototype automobile parts.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323372504578469560282127852.html?KEYWORDS=clint+boulton

Make those V8 A/C vents!

Posted on: 2013/6/7 12:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The home version of those printers have gotten down to the sub $1000 range and there is a huge community of people sharing the 3D files plot files online. I bet one of those printers could easily produce those vents.

Search for 3D printing on the website instructables.com. Tons of cool stuff there.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 13:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I think Leno had that on his garage video,, not this small one.

leno casts his own parts now

Posted on: 2013/6/7 13:40
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2014/10/12 12:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2016/9/2 19:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A good question. The pot metal piece has weak ears and I can't imagine the plastic piece will be any stronger. Wonder if that is a pattern or the actual item they are planning to use.

I thought a few years ago when low cost home 3D printers hit the shelves it was the next big thing. Many poo poo'd the idea but I still think it is coming. Not quite there yet because of needing a CAD program to run the printer. Kind of expensive for a draftsman to do up a program now but when low cost accurate scanning catches up to the printers imagine the possibilities. If a vendor invested in a setup and could make a repro of those parts that didn't need machining by using an original pattern part from his shelf or maybe a borrowing a good part from someone I think could pay off nicely. Even some parts that did need minimal finish work might be a possibility.

IIRC, there was an article a few days ago about a one off collector car part being made from stainless steel. That one was not cheap and took many hours to do but it is a start. That ign bezel if made out of stainless steel might be viable.

Posted on: 2016/9/2 20:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved