Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 121

humanpotatohybrid, kevinpackard, waynecain, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: How depressed is the market in our cars?
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Ray,

Good to hear that you will keep it forever. I am resoting my grandfather's first new car (1949 standard) that still has the 1957 Chicago city sticker on it (when it ran last) ...and I know it will never leave the family. ...and I will prolly pay twice it's worth to restore it.

I also need to overhaul my 1949 7 pass. There again, prolly paying twice it's worth.

I once heard a "car collector" (on an TV auction I believe) say that the only car that he lost money on was one that he had to have work done to it. ...as someone said, these cars do deteriorate, so work will always have to be done to them. I would consider that "car collector" a "car trader", with that attitude.

That's my .02. I do not want to offend anyone on this site as it a great site.

Mark

Posted on: 2011/10/25 12:22
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

MarkH
See User information
Great topic!!
The division of high-end pre-war prices and post war prices is very telling. I am amazed by how little some Packards are selling for at auctions. Then a corvette shows up and everyone goes crazy.

Frankly I dont know where my 1923 Packard Touring Sedan stands as far as an auction price. It is all original formaly part of the Harrah's collection. Mint condition.

Pix here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/disneybymark/sets/72157627470029817/

Any guesses??

Attach file:

jpg  (52.96 KB)
4036_4ea75808143c2.jpg 768X1024 px

Posted on: 2011/10/25 19:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Look at this 1934 Super Eight coupe on Ebay 160669983821.Bid is at $100,000.00 so far and reserve is still not met.Then look at the very nice 54 Packard Clipper sedan with factory A/C, PB, PS, Ultramatic and 54,000 original miles.Buy now for 10 Grand.Its been on Ebay at least 3 or 4 times.I guess the high end stuff is still selling and everything else is dead.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 20:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
That 34 car is now at $140K. It's a local car and we all were trying to put a value you on it. For a coupe it's a great looking car.

Good high end cars are still selling strong.

Posted on: 2011/10/27 1:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
RE 34 clark Gables 34 coupe: Study the bid history.

For general pricing and what has SOLD look at the COMPLETED LISTINGS for Packards. NOT currently active listings.

Current active auctions are meaningless for establishing value, trends or ANYTHING. Current active listings only have meaning if one plans to bid.

It is the COMPLETED LISTINGS that tell the true story in terms of value, trends etc. Well maybe in most cases but not all. Currently active listing are completely meaningless especialy if there are only 2 or 3 bidders at the HIGH END toward the end of the auction. They mite be nothing more than just "Bid Buyers" or attempting to quell the sale of the car at a price lowere than the seller is willing to accept and can NOT get.

OR to put it another way, a seller is simply bidding on the car HIMSELF (thru a couple of mutual friends using their eBay id) so as not to let the a car go for any less tha n some figure the seller has in mind.

Come on folks. All of this pretty basic.

Posted on: 2011/10/27 5:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
No need to look at closed auctions.What I have been saying is the cars keep coming up for auction month after month year after year.They are not selling. Look at some of the cars on Ebay like the 54 Clipper with PB, PS Auto and AC. They have shown this car 4 or 5 times at $10G.that is a great price. 20 years ago, it would have sold in a heartbeat. I guess the 1% of the population with 90% of our wealth don't like these cars.The rest of us have no money to buy them.I would probably go down to Wall St with the protesters but I can't afford the $12.00 toll to get across the George Washinton Bridge.If I could, I doubt I could afford the $120.00 Parking garage fee.I am glad I no longer work in the City.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 19:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
GTO, do you really think a loaded 54 Clipper would have sold easily 20 years ago for $10K?

Posted on: 2011/10/28 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Yes.I saw a lot worse for $10G with nothing but Ultramatic. I guess I was just lucky when I came across a nice 48 Custom Eight that day in 1996.You should have seen the other two cars I looked at that day and the prices they were asking.$8,500.00 for a 48 eight painted lime green with stuffing hanging out of the front seat and a headliner that was falling down.Another 51 200 that was pretty nice but needed a little bit of everything for $9,500.00.Last I heard, the owner sent it to the scrap heap last year.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 19:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
GTO- Occupy Bergenfield.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 23:05
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
unfortunately I do.I will move someplace nice when I retire.

Posted on: 2011/10/29 0:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved