Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Windshield Wiper Motor Victory!
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Think I could use brake parts cleaner or some solvent like this to clean out the old lubricant without huring anything ?

Posted on: 2011/11/21 13:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
It makes me wonder what kind of lube the manufacturer used for the wioper motors. Did the OLD solidified grease look like Lubriplate or what did it look like???

Short answer: yes. It did look like Lubriplate - chunky off white with splotches of black and redish-orange. It was reluctant to leave too.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 14:45
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
SLAP HAPPY PAPPY!
I removed the TRICO moter ,it was a snap as you said it would be ,;and dissasembled it ,sure enough ancient hardened grease ,
after a clean out the reassembaly was a snap ;I couldnt wait for a rebuild kit with fresh gaskets as its rainy season here ,
so re-invigorated the existing ones with some ATV gasket material carefully applied to the case edges ,
I couldnt find silicone grease at the local ace hdwe but they had teflon grease which seems to work admirably .reinstalled ;Nice active wipe ,two speeds and park as mentioned .I rebuilt the spare unit at the same time which was frozen with the same problem.It actually was slightly different from the installed motor ,as instead of one vacumb supply nipple on the right side of the top there was two, one was an extra vacumb nipple ,one on both sides of the top.There is a vacumb line that runs from the fuel pump that heads back to the transmission and is shared by the trico in my 52 /200
My family didnt seem to share my enthusiasm for this momentous occasion either ,not even the puppies .\
I lubed up the spots where the internal cables ran through pullies under the dash with the same teflon grease .I want to lube the shafts that run the wiper arms where they run forwaed through the firewall ,do they pull off? I didnt see a set screw or tab to depress .I want to get some grease in there somehow as the last part thats not freshened up .

Posted on: 2011/11/22 13:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The brackets and shaft-cable assy are a solid casting with pressed on components and do not come apart. Suggest you don't even attempt it. You possibly could put a drop or two of oil on the outside near the shaft and let it run down inside but that's about it. Not sure how much that would help.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 13:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Yes Yes !!thats what I wanted to do, but the wiper arm base covers the end of the shaft where I thought I might place a drop of oil ,thats why I was wondering if the arm came off exposing the end of the shaft so I could get to it with the oil.You guys are packard geniouses!

Posted on: 2011/11/22 17:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The end of the shaft is serrated or splined so the arms themselves will come off--just not the shaft out of the bracket. The ends of the shaft are fairly large in comparison and some actually cup over the bracket so I don't think you will gain much more access-- but maybe enough to help. I'll let someone with that style weigh in on whether there is release clips or any gotcha's though. There could be some corrosion making it more difficult if they haven't been off in years.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 17:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I did my Trico but I'm having a problem with the seal on the top. I carefully removed and reused the gasket, but I'm getting some blowby when I turn the arm. When I hooked it up to the motor while running, the wiper motor didn't work. I'm debating using some Permatex non hardening on it when I disassemble it.

Also, don't drop the unit - it's like dropping buttered toast, except that toast doesn't have pot metal ears. yup, I broke one off. I'll try some epoxy on it, failing that I guess I'll have to root thru the old car junkyard and see if I can find a similar one on a Ford or Chevy. Anyone have any ideas on what other manufacturers used this Trico model?

Posted on: 2011/11/22 19:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Anyone have any ideas on what other manufacturers used this Trico model?

Hollanders only lists that particular motor being used on the late 49 to 52 Packard. Since the mounting bracket is the same thru 53 yet a different motor and control is used for later 53s, the difference in that case will be in the way something else attaches or controls -- like the washer setup as an example. Hollander has over 100 listings for vacuum motors so I expect that will be the case with other mfgs as well and many would fit but have differences. Weeding out the subtle differences that would cause a problem might be a challenge unless they are side by side.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 21:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks - looks like I'm going to be working with the epoxy in the morning.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

steve-52/200 wrote:
It actually was slightly different from the installed motor ,as instead of one vacumb supply nipple on the right side of the top there was two, one was an extra vacumb nipple ,one on both sides of the top.There is a vacumb line that runs from the fuel pump that heads back to the transmission and is shared by the trico in my 52 /200

I believe the second smaller nipple is for the windshield washers. My Maroon '51 had that as well.

Congratulations on your repair job. I know just how you feel; both with the accomplishment and with the underwhelming response from the puppies and all.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 22:20
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved