Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 213

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: I know what year your was......
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
When showing my car, I'm usually the only Packard and the people like what they see, but are more confused and ask "who makes Packard?" The next question is "what year is it?" That's funny because I have mounted a front license plate that reads "1956 Packard". I think it's just an easy way for them to 'break the ice' and it let's me know they want to know more. The key is not to hold them captive for too long.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 11:10
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: I know what year your car was......
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Wait till they get angry with you because you correct them on the "Air" ride. They know because they had an uncle who owned one.

+1

If they don't know the year, most are amenable to polite correction---but not on the subject of air suspension.

One thing that fascinates me is that they rarely respond to the upholstery---which to me is quite different from anything new....

Another odd group is other collectors who firmly believe their car was/is superior to anything on wheels. Particularly if it is unrestored and in grade 4/5 condition....

Posted on: 2011/11/17 16:43
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Yeah, I have several friends with GM products who worship at that alter. When they say "We're taking our cars to the Saturday cruise" I always reply OK - You take your cars and I'll bring my Automobile. Some of them do not possess a sense of humor - sad.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 22:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
are they drinking the "GM invented everything" koolaid too? I run into that a lot

Posted on: 2011/11/18 9:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
At a cruise night last summer, as I was pulling out in my '53 Caribbean, a guy ran up to me and asked "what year Cadillac is that?"

Now the punch line...he was the owner of a '55 Coupe deVille.

Go Figure

Posted on: 2011/11/18 12:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

Pack120c wrote:
At a cruise night last summer, as I was pulling out in my '53 Caribbean, a guy ran up to me and asked "what year Cadillac is that?"

Now the punch line...he was the owner of a '55 Coupe deVille.

Go Figure

Should've told him that "it's a special ordered one with everything made by Packard"

Posted on: 2011/11/19 8:37
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You could say "It's a late model Packard" and you wouldn't be lying.

Posted on: 2011/11/19 9:49
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
I don't understand why when asking people to guess what year your car is, they guess 1955, and this upsets you. To be honest, there is not much visual difference between 1955 and 1956 Packards. More hooded headlights, busier grille, more square trunk, and extended chrome strip on the side. That is not much to differentiate between them for someone not into Packards. I have even seen books on automobiles that have 1956's captioned as 1955's and vice versa.

Can you tell the difference between a '75 and '76 Cadillac Coupe Deville? '72 and '73 Imperial? '77 and '78 Town Car? '69 and '70 New Yorker? '71 and '72 Nova? If it is not a car that you are passionate about, you will not know all the minor changes for similar years for everything.

For those just guessing 1955, I would say that most would guess it is not late 1950's because there are no big fins, and not early 1950's because there are no separate rear fenders (like Chevy) or it is not a bathtub style. So 1955 puts it squarely in the middle.

Posted on: 2011/11/29 17:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
When people compliment my 55 Pat, the first question I usually ask them is, "do you know what year it is?". If they say 1955, then I respond, "You're good! That's it." If not, I just say, "Close...it's 1955, you're pretty good!". Those Q&As seem to make everybody happy.

However, the "air suspension" vs T-L is harder to navigate through. I usually have a copy of the SM T-L diagram with me to show them and that usually clears it up.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/11/29 18:10
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Friends

I have a lot of fun with this..

"Who made Packard, Ford?"

"No Packard. They started in 1899, before Ford, Buick or Cadillac."

"Oh"

T"he first Packard has things your new car has. Automatic Spark Advance, Foot Accelerator, and an H pattern gearshift. :You can go see it at Lehigh University. Ward Packard endowed the engineering building"

"Oh....."

"In less than a year later, after the first 12 cars, they had steering wheels. If they were not the first with the steering wheel, they were the first in the US and the Europeans were only a few months ahead..."

"Really?"

"About 3 months after Cadillac sweated and produced the first practical V8, Packard came out with a V12. It cost twice as much"

Going pale now

"In the 20's, Packard had 50% of the luxury market. The other 50% was spread across 20 makes. including Cadillac and Duesenberg"

Usually in full retreat by now..

"Oh by the way, they had a 95% return customer rate and were the 2nd most widely held stock after GM...they were turning a 14% profit"

I just love it!

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2011/11/29 19:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved