Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

I know what year your car was......
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I suppose we have all had experiences where someone came up trying to start a conversation with that time tested gambit "What year is your car?" It's part of owning an old car, right?

I usually turn it around and ask what year you think it is?

This where it gets weird. The vast majority will guess 1955. Why 55? Why do 55s reach out from the grave like this? What happened in 1955 that causes this egregious blunder?

Oddly, very few people guess any other year, for whatever reason.

Posted on: 2011/11/16 17:29
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: I know what year your was......
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Because every other car built in the 50's was a '57 Chevy!

Posted on: 2011/11/16 17:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd take a guess that most familiar with the era would say 55 because that was the big year of change -- so many makes went from stodgy to flashy. Packard, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Mopars, Hudson all went thru a significant change. Even some of the makes that didn't get new bodies got chrome layered on. In Packards case, whatever year it is, it is still a 55 to them because that's the only year they remembered to account for the "modern" looking car with lots of chrome and bright colors.

Posted on: 2011/11/16 17:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Wait till they get angry with you because you correct them on the "Air" ride. They know because they had an uncle who owned one.

Posted on: 2011/11/16 19:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
1955 was one of those years when everyone in the US decided it was time for a new car, the sales numbers were astounding. Come 1956 everyone was in a new car and all brands sold far fewer units. Too bad, most '56 models looked better than '55s, to my eyes at least.

Posted on: 2011/11/16 20:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
U'll get used to it. As long as people are asking they are showing interest. It's when everyone ignores these cars that we have to worry.

I just answer their question real quick: "48" or "56" or what ever year it happens to be. I have 4 or 5 vintage vehicles some i've owned for over 40 years.

It often pays to just answer their questions. Correct the year if they are wrong but brag on their ability to get it close enuf for rock'n roll. Sometimes a per-chance conversation can lead info on the whereabouts of other collectibles that are just waiting for us to buy them.

It's just one of crosses we must bare while owning any collectible.

Posted on: 2011/11/16 21:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
I don't think 1955 carries any significance beyond the fact that it's the middle calendar year in the decade. I always figure that the inquirer knows enough to identify the car as a 50's-era vehicle. Then, if that's all he knows, he can guess 1955 and only be a few years off no matter the correct answer. He then walks away thinking, "Gee, I'm smart. I was only a few years off..."

Posted on: 2011/11/16 21:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
??Cars (most anyway) got tail fins after '55??

Or is that a glich in my imagination? If I was guessing and didn't know I reckon I'd feel that a car with significant tail fins was probably post-55 and one with none to speak of was pre-55.

Here in Oz we were a few years later with the fins, but the American cars were boldly finned by about '57 and massively finned by '59 or '60. Caddies (- I still remember - 'Cadillac: the longest car in the world, 20foot 4 inches!') and the Pontiac Belvedere were the 'massively finned' cars that the fathers of my school mates owned, but even the British Zephyr (Zodiac) models had small fins by late 50's.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 8:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I suspect for most "guessers" who aren't into the nuances of design in the era, the answer is simplier. If they think it's the 50s, the safest guess is to go for the middle of the decade.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Dave
My thoughts exactly. You beat me to the response button.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 9:36
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved