Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1931 833 Tires
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Looking to replace them. I have checked all the different vendors.

Universaltire

Cokertire

Lucasclassictires

I have search and read all the post here on tire/tyers and would like to hear any updates on any recent purchases that any of you have made.

On one of my searches I read the Coker and Universal are one in the same company is that true? Post #38 by Fred Kanter

-------------------------------------------------

On the car now are Martins WW 650/700x19.

What does the 650/700 mean?

Thanks for any feedback.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 7:42
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: 1931 833 Tires
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, I don't believe the two companies are one in the same, I think Universal & Coker are separate companies that share a common owner.

650/700 is a compromise or combination size tire, suitable for either 650 or 700. I suppose it's slightly bigger is cross section than a 650, but smaller than a 700. Another no so uncommon one is the 700/750 x 17, a combo size that could fit both the Eights and the Twelve (though be truly correct for neither).

Posted on: 2011/11/30 9:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Remember also... whitewalls are a compromise.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 11:15
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Dave,

Does the 17 mean the height of the tire?

Does that number have any effect on the inner radius?

Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Tom, I don't believe the two companies are one in the same, I think Universal & Coker are separate companies that share a common owner.

650/700 is a compromise or combination size tire, suitable for either 650 or 700. I suppose it's slightly bigger is cross section than a 650, but smaller than a 700. Another no so uncommon one is the 700/750 x 17, a combo size that could fit both the Eights and the Twelve (though be truly correct for neither).

West,

I am up in the air on that one. Do I want the classy look of the wide whites or the sporty look of the black-walls.

I had four tires demounted the other day. Two are black walls and the other two are the whites. The other two that are still on the car are whites. My plans are to have the rims bead blasted, have the metal section of the rims either painted or powder coated black. All depends on the shape of the metal if I go powder coating route.

For the wood I ws thinking of leaving them natural but again depending on the shape of the wood I may have to fill and paint them.

My plan is once I get the rims finished I was going to remount the black walls I have and put them on one side of the car and whites on the other and see what I like the best.

Quote:

by West Peterson:
Remember also... whitewalls are a compromise.

Thanks for your feedback

Posted on: 2011/11/30 11:37
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom asks "Does the 17 mean the height of the tire?"

No, 17 as in 700/750 x 17 is the rim or wheel diameter.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 11:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Dave,

Thanks for clarifying the size for me.

Any input on manufacture likes or dislikes?

Posted on: 2011/11/30 11:59
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, no experience in your size. I've been giving it a lot of thought recently as the tires (Lesters) on my 34 Eight are now about 18 years old with about 16,000 miles on them. They have modest tread wear, perhaps about 50% remaining, but age is the concern. Before the Henry Joy Tour this year I removed the tires/wheels from the car so I could give them an extremely close examination - they still felt and looked almost like new but you never know what lurks inside.

Though I don't much care for the width of the whitewall (should I go again with white, it's a black sedan) and the tread pattern is not really "of the era", the Lesters have given remarkable service and are much preferred by many as a highway tire. Steve Babinsky who does many Pebble winners put Lesters on his 2nd Series 236 by Merrimac and drove from Seattle to Pebble and says the performance left nothing to be desired. Again, in my size, Bedford Cords were an option based on appearance but I don't hear good things about their roadability - though a great "show" tire. The prior Firestone-label 700x17 which got some criticism has apparently been resized and I've heard it's a good tire. I don't know if it's available in 700x17 but the recent GoodYear-labeled tire seems to be the current favorite in 7.50 x 17 for the Twelves and probably fits (but is incorrect) for the Super Eights. Biggest problem with it is it won't fit under the metal tire covers of the Eights.

So, ..... I'm still deliberating. And I don't think any of this does you much good as results with one maker's tire in one size, other than for appearance, doesn't necessarily translate to his offerings in another size.

I appreciate your dilema, it's a big decision. What's the intended use for your car - strictly show, or touring and show - that may influence your decision. If you tell me what size you intend to install I'd be glad to ask around.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 12:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Dave,

Really appreciate your input.

So the Lester is a good road tire but appearance wise it is not correct. If one was not concern for appearance this tire would be a good choice.

Is the Firestone tire tread pattern more of the period? I am asking because I am clueless to the right appearance.

------------------------------------------------------

Called the place that does powder coating and she stated she be afraid to coat them do the heat it may burn the wood. I would not think it would but I will not attempt then.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 12:45
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, as to the Lesters, at least in broad experience though they did have a rash of issues about 15 years ago.

As to correct "of the era" appearance for your 8th series, I really can't say I'm familiar enough with the era to say. Chances are that you can get glimses of the tire tread pattern on period photos, a browse thru Making of Modern Michigan might be worth your effort.

Gutter strips and/or flaps shouldn't be problem, but inner tubes would be worth some investigation as well. I have (1934) the last year for nickel-plated metal valve stems so you should have them as well. Over on AACA a while back there was a rash of comments about failures of new metal-stem tubes.

PS - BTW which wheels, wooden artillery, disteel, or wire spoke?

Posted on: 2011/11/30 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Tom, some years ago when looking for tires for my 633 I found a 700 : 20 tire was too wide to fit into the spare wheel well in the fender. I don't recall the brand, but its worth checking the width of the well against the tire you choose.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 17:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved