Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 203

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: V8 engine paint color
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Can I chime in here? I was under the understanding that powder coating would not hold up to any amount of heat. Is there a process that will work on exhaust systems?

Posted on: 2008/7/10 0:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I've always used the Eastwood grey cast manifold paint--it's great. You have to glass bead the exhaust manifold to be surgically clean--really sweat the small stuff, then you can brush on the Eastwood product. The finished appearance is a cast iron gray, and it stays that way. After you glass bead the manifold you have to work fast, the bare cast iron will rust back up in a hurry.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 7:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Let me just add a little emphasis to Mr. Pushbutton's recommendation for the Eastwood product, properly prepared, the manifolds (and other cast iron parts) will look like original cast, and stay that way for many, many years. It's a terrific product for that purpose.

For engines that originally had porcelainized manifolds, porcelain holds up pretty well on the intakes, but on exhaust is pretty much just for show and if you're restoring a driver, it won't stay pristine very long. A reasonable alternative for them is a thin ceramic coating like Jet-Coat which is available in a semi-gloss black; it doesn't match the original blue/black porcelain but prevents rust, is durable, and at least to me a reasonable alternative.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 7:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I've not personally seen an exhaust manifold paint that ever held up that well, but I haven't seen 'em all.

I'd think some sort of modern ceramic coating would last longer, but that gets expensive. JetHot coatings are especially popular in muscle car and hot rod circles, but I'm not sure that's appropriate or necessary for a cast iron manifold.

A product that is popular among Corvette enthusiasts (purists), perhaps due to the nature of its application as much as its color, is Calyx:

http://www.calyxmanifold.com/

Posted on: 2008/7/10 7:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
We have a Studebaker and Avanti which have had the exhaust manifolds jet Hot coated the cost was around $200 in 2003 per set they still look as the day installed. The cars are not daily drivers but cars that are used for cruises and summer cars shows. The coating is applied to inside and outside. They list quite a few colors. We are very satisfied with the look and the way they have held up having been on numerous trips of several hundred miles at highway speeds

Posted on: 2008/7/10 14:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
Well here it is. Semi-finished. Just need to get the valve cover lettering done and it's finished.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.52 KB)
278_4876c836bae1d.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (51.14 KB)
278_4876c862acc4f.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/7/10 21:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Fredrickr, Where did u get the paint?????

Owen, is the Jet Coat avilable for home application or does it require a commercial application???

Posted on: 2008/7/10 22:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jet Coat is a commercial operation. My 34 Eight exhaust manifold was done about 5 years ago and if I recall correctly, it was about $300 or thereabouts.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 22:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Off topic here, but i went over to bid at auction for 5582-2199 with 114k miles. Bondo special. It went for $2500. So i wasted about $30 worth of gas and 4 hours.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 22:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
fredrickr -

The first photo looks kinda light, but we know from past experience, here, that is sometimes just a matter of the the camera and lighting. The color in the second pic looks closer.

Are the valve covers still in primer? IIRC, they were originally painted silver (perhaps "Argent Silver", which was used as a trim accent color on GM cars in later years), with red lettering (about the same color as the red in the hex on the wheel covers).

Anyone else have an opinion as to color match?

Posted on: 2008/7/11 7:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved