Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 68

Alvin14, remi, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Water Pump Hole?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Guys.
I went to a salvage yard to find a water pump to replace mine that leaks. I noticed the one I just bought has a hole in it, in the same spot as the other. I wanted to find out if that was a lube point, or just a place where water was sitting and rusted through. It doesnt make sense to me, that it would rust through.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.75 KB)
3628_4f67cdf7b91a6.jpg 630X473 px

Posted on: 2012/3/19 19:24
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Re: Water Pump Hole?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
My '51 has that hole as well, but the corners are more square. I don't know what it does, but since it points down, I'm thinking it is a weep hole so it will leak when the seal is compromised.

On a side note, I am so jealous that you have a junkyard you can get Packard parts at!

Posted on: 2012/3/19 19:47
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Not to worry, that is a weep hole that is to allow any water that should happen to get past the seal to not get into the bearing. That way the pump is still failing, but not as quickly!

Miraculously, at 80K+ miles my 51 200 still has its factory installed water pump still pumping silently. An important key to happy water pumps is not to span the fanbelt any more than necessary. I always run mine quite loose: when I was just your age I cranked the fanbelt on my old 50 Super down nice and tight and ruined my new waterpump in just a couple weeks. Making just $1.65 an hour on weekends the expense scarred me for life, and I still run my fanbelts quite loose.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 19:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My '51 has that hole as well, but the corners are more square. I don't know what it does, but since it points down, I'm thinking it is a weep hole so it will leak when the seal is compromised.

Exactly. Here is an illustration of a slightly older pump showing the weep hole between the seal and the bearing.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.70 KB)
209_4f67d6fe960ec.jpg 489X523 px

Posted on: 2012/3/19 20:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Thanks Guys,
That is good to know, I figured it couldn't just be a coincidence. As for that salvage yard, that is where I bought my car. I went back for my birthday to see if I could find some parts, since it is a ways out there. Didn't get to scope the full yard, but I found a '55 or '56, and a '53. The '55 I took the "Easamatic" power brake pedal pad, and trim piece. And, from the '53 I was able to get the water pump, battery box, and phenolic spacer. And a horn from a Hudson Hornet. Not a bad haul for $80, plus things my brother was able to find.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 21:25
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
That's pretty cool! Down here in Florida, all of the cars in junkyards are 1988 or newer. With New York plates.

Right now, my '48 is weeping so bad, you would think that somebody ran over it's dog. Time to order a new pump!

Posted on: 2012/3/19 22:37
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Yeah, this place is ridiculously hard to find. It is out in the middle of nowhere. The man who owns it gets so little business, that he is thinking of closing down and scrapping everything. It would be a shame if it came to that. That yard is filled to the brim with cars from the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, etc. And engines, carbs, differentials, trannys, lenses, trim, almost anything you could ever hope to find!!! It is a rusty gold mine, tucked away in the Texas country. There is bound to be something there in Florida. Try carshows, there are usually good leads there. That is how I found out about this place, from a highschool student, with a really nice malibu, at a local carshow.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 22:53
Garrett

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Any chance you could provide an address? If it has cars from the 30s, I would be interested in taking a look around.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/3/24 16:33
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Yeah no problem,

2020 Fox Trotter Rd.

Seguin, TX 78155

I'm sure you will find plenty of rusty gold. Not sure if there are any 30's packards there, but that is probably because I was too focused on 50's cars. My suggestion,if you go, is to get there early. It is a fairly large yard, and it is hard not to look at everything. Also, it is located on a little dusty back road that is easily missed. Try to use something other than google maps to find it.

Here's the link to his website:http://johnssalvagecompany.com/

Posted on: 2012/3/24 18:55
Garrett

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, the Google map of the address brings it up as clear as day. You cannot determine the Packards but there certainly are a lot of cars, etc. Peter

Posted on: 2012/3/25 2:45
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved