Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 213

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

which carb kit to buy?
Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Hey all,
I'm looking for a rebuild kit for the Carter on my '53 Clipper. The carb I have is not original, I think it's off an early 50s Chevy... I would imagine if the jet size is different, it would be easily changeable. Does anybody know what the differences could be between models? They are both WCD for sure... I'll post the numbers from my carb in after I go double check them.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 16:35
 Top  Print   

Re: which carb kit to buy?
Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
I just went out and looked at both the carb that's on the car and the one that came off of it. The stock one is a 928s. The one I am currently running is a 781s, apparently from a 51-54 Kaiser... Is there a major difference between these two? Jet size or anything?

Posted on: 2012/4/12 17:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My advice is to start looking for the correct carburetor. Yes, jet size is important and easily changed. But at least as important is the venturi size which is intergral with the casting. If you have a carb sized for a Kaiser (226 cuibic inches?), no matter how you jet it you won't get satisfactory performance.

The correct carburetor core should be easy enough to find, you practically trip over them at places like Hershey, Rhinebeck, and other larger flea markets.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 17:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Good to know. Is there any kind of casting number on the carb body that denotes venturi size? Also, do you know off hand the cfm I should be running? I have a couple motocraft 2bbls on the shelf with adapter plates...

Posted on: 2012/4/12 17:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I have a carter book with all the info. If you give me your motor number and an e-mail I will give you the the correct info. I might have a core also, glade to help.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 19:57

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The 781S was originally from a 1951 or 1952 Kaiser and there are many differences between it and the 928S which was original equipment for 1952 Packard 300 and 400 models plus 1953 Clipper Deluxe (Chassis 2611) Models.
The biggest difference is in the main venturi which is 1-1/16" for the 781S and 1-3/16" for the 928S.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 21:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
That makes sense.... How many cfms should my engine need to perform properly? From what I understand these engines don't rev that high.... I'm guessing around 300?

Posted on: 2012/4/13 4:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Max horsepower was developed at 3600 or 4000 rpm, depending on engine.

Just to put the venturi sizes given by BDeB in some perspective using the 1934 8-cylinder models for comparison, the 385 c.i Super Eight used an EE-22 with a venturi of 1-3/8, and the 320 c.i. Eight used an EE-22 with a venturi of 1-3/16.

Posted on: 2012/4/13 7:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
And beware of the usual "jiffy kits" commonly sold these days, which are incomplete.

Posted on: 2012/4/13 14:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
I didn't even think about it until now.... The motor in my car is out of a Cavalier.... Would this make a difference in what carb i need? I wouldn't think so since the displacement is the same. I found a 928s in better condition than mine that I'm bidding on....

Posted on: 2012/4/15 14:10
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved