Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 226

TxGoat, David Timberlake, Ernie Vitucci, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

no lights, keeps blowing fuse at headlight switch
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hotrodslp
See User information
hey all,
car is a 54 clipper deluxe that was converted to 12 volt before i got it. 2 days ago all the lights and everything worked, but now when i go to turn on the lights, it blows the fuse at the headlight switch. when i replace the fuse, the lights only come on for a couple seconds then they die, because of a blown fuse. where should i start checking? i cant verify the age of the switch, but the wiring connections look modern with newer terminals at the ends of the wires,also the bulbs were replaced..as i said the lights did work a couple days ago.
we have had a lot of rain recently in florida..is something shorting out?
i still have stop lights when i step on the brake pedal, no signals tho....signals did work 2 days ago, car has a modern flasher relay installed
all wires to the bulbs are original, and still wrapped...
any help is appreciated.
thanks

Posted on: 2012/7/18 19:32
 Top  Print   

Re: no lights, keeps blowing fuse at headlight switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wondering what else they did with the conversion. The stock 54 Packard headlight switch has no fuse on it. Should be a self resetting 20 amp circuit breaker which would just keep flashing the lights as the breaker resets and pops again. It would control the headlights, tail lights, parking lights and dash cluster & ign sw lights. The brake and turn signals are normally off a separate circuit breaker on the instrument cluster.

You will have to trace what was done if not a Packard loom or switch but some typical places that cause problems with stock looms (aside from the fact the old fabric and rubber insulation sometimes falls off in chunks if disturbed) are in the trunk and under dash. I can't remember if 54 had plastic insulated wires instead of fabric but if original, they can also harden and then crack when bent.

As to the dash, the instrument light sockets can have the insulation shrink back or come off exposing the wire right at the point wire enters the shell and then short if moved.

Otherwise, the loom comes down the side (usually left) to tail light area and then a splice junctions over to other side in a small inch or so wide trough in trunk floor. That is just in front of the panel below the trunk lid. 54 Clipper tail lights are pretty high so maybe not as likely on yours but some others have had things in the trunk bounce around and hit the lamp sockets shorting a wire. Items falling into the trough can cause problems on all years. The license light wire drops down a hole in that trough about in the middle and then out to bumper. If a grommet is missing, that can short. Same with holes in the front fender where cables to headlights exit. Sometimes the old rubber cable to the assy disintegrates. The cable to parking light sockets in another area is not as likely but should be looked at.

Some have had issues with the dimmer switch shorting.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 19:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved