Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 208

BigKev, David Timberlake, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'54 Patrician Tire Pressure question...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Hi Guys,

Been spending time absorbing the tremendous amount of technical info throughout the site, and came across STB concerning changes to tire pressure. They advised (F)22psi, (R)20 psi, and they didn't mention model applicability, was wondering if it was across the line?

What tire pressure does everyone keep it at?

Posted on: 2012/7/20 21:52
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Re: '54 Patrician Tire Pressure question...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Car manufacturer's tire pressure recommendations in that era were primarily aimed at nice, soft ride characteristics without any regard to tire life, etc.

I typically use a cold inflation pressure of about 3-4 psi less than the max listed on the tire sidewall for the maximum load rating. I'm sure there will be lots of varied opinion on this.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 22:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Thanks...I'd like to hear what others are typically running.

Why would they send a STB lowering it from the 26psi in the book to 22/20 then?

Posted on: 2012/7/21 11:05
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IMO, O_D nailed the reason. Comfort and soft ride. They might have changed something else on the car or found initial specs were a bit too much. Since Packards target group mostly wanted a nice comfortable soft cushy ride, a lower tire pressure is one way to get it back. If you look thru bulletins you will find many addressing "harshness", "roughness", "disturbances" -- you name the term -- but all essentially addressing the same thing. Quiet, smooth and comfortable was the desired result.

Posted on: 2012/7/21 11:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved