Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 143

Joe, Todd W. White, Don B, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Umpteenth power window motor failure
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I've gone through several power window motors during the 13 years I've had my 55 Pat. Most failures are on the D-side front of course. I've been able to make 1 good one out of two or more "bad" ones, but now I'm out of spares in any reasonable rebuildable condition.

Before I start a project (blog) from scratch on adapting a general purpose modern power window lift system to a 55-56 Packard, has anyone done an adaption before? Any sage advice?

Craig

Posted on: 2012/7/27 16:17
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: Umpteenth power window motor failure
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No sage advice but sounds like a worthwhile project with proper motors becoming harder and more expensive to get. I expect they are a finite resource so now might be a good time to find an option.

One problem with new motors or assys might be with the original switches. I don't recall offhand if anyone is currently using the reversing system Packard did with two counter wound field coils and just the single feed wire for each direction. Might take some relay action controlled by the original switch on the new ones.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 16:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Howard:

I looked at various issues a few years ago WRT limit switches, reversing motors, etc, but never took that project to completion, although I gathered a lot of components for testing. You've identified some of the critical points, as usual.

I also talked to Autoloc this PM and they MAY be interested in helping me develop a Packard-specific kit based upon one of their universal kits. We'll see where that goes.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/7/27 17:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, My 56 Pat (51,000 miles) has had a Jaguar window lift motor fitted into the drivers door by the previous owner. It works well and was apparently not a big issue to fit the item. I shall dig up the spare motor and post the details. best regards Peter Toet.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.59 KB)
154_50131a2ad14c3.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/7/27 17:44
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Would be nice if there is a semi drop in option to replace our overworked & overstressed Delco's eventually.

Of course with a Jaguar window motor, we have to make sure where it's made & by whom. Wouldn't want the "Boss of the Road" to take on any bad karma or ideas from "Lucas, Prince of Darkness".

Posted on: 2012/7/27 20:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
The replacement says "Made in Germany" so I am confident that "the Prince of Darkness, inventor of the Short Circuit and Open Circuit", has little to do with the manufacture of the replacement item. I have located the replacement spare. I have also unearthed some wiring notes and shall post further when I dig a bit deeper as i am sure that i have seen some fitment notes. PT

Posted on: 2012/7/28 2:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Autoloc got back to me today via email. They have a universal kit for "flat glass" power window conversion kit which the sales guy believes will work. The cost from various suppliers would be a little over $200 plus shipping for a PAIR; i.e., front L/R any or F/R on 4-door. If there is enough interest, a package deal can be negotiated.

Unless I hear more about the Jag motor, I'll adapt one of their kits, taking pix and writing up detailed instructions.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/7/30 15:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From what's shown on the Autoloc website, looks like a fairly simple setup. Looking forward to your photos. More interested in whether it is an easy 2 wire drop in or if you have to get creative electrically.

Even if the Jaguar motor is mostly bolt in, nice to have more than one option. Besides, unless it's a late model or multiple cars use them, how long before Jag motors might become an endangered and even more overpriced species.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 15:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Craig, When I bought my 22nd series convertible way back in 1983, all of the window mechanisms were missing. I found a late 70's Buick and installed the power window lifts in the Packard. If my memory is right I only drilled two holes and made 1 bracket for the installation. I do have to use a 12 volt garden tractor battery that I hid in the heater box to operate the windows, but they have not failed to work in about the last 30 years. Hope this helps. Good luck. Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/7/30 16:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, haven't been able to locate the fitting instructions for the Jag window motor yet, not due to lack of searching either. The motor is an ITT automotive 402.610 12V. There are five spade connections in a square pattern, plus one in the middle which is an Earth. The green spade connector is for SLOW speed. The Red spade connector is for FAST speed. One of the others is for pARK and the final one is PULSE to Earth. I shall try to find the instructions. ITT Automotive is a US Company but I haven't had a lot of success trying to get past the Company PR blurbs on the site. I notice that there are two NOS units available as "buy now" on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-56-Packard-Power-Window-Motor-Lift-474386-NOS-/320688189126?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aaa816ec6&vxp=mtr

GOOD Luck. PT

Posted on: 2012/7/31 5:34
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved