Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 73

Chuck McDonald, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Nothin' but Problems...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The one thing about tubes is that they hold air for a very long time given the rim is cleaned up.

They aren't great for sustained high speeds because they cause blow out, and are harder to balance, but they are very reliable.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 19:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Firestone stores have been notorious for fifty years for overcharging, doing substandard work, doing unnecessary work, and generally being about the crookedest place to have your car fixed. Don't go there. In fact the biggest shiniest shop on the busiest street, is the worst place to take your car.

Find an independent garage on an inconspicuous street somewhere. The right place will do no advertising, have no big sign, in fact you will have to look hard to find it. Yet they have no shortage of customers, they get repeat business from miles around.

Ask around your friends especially old car owning friends and find out where they go.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Thanks Tim, I'll take that into consideration. If I just can't get the tire to seal against the rim, I'll be doing tubes. I probably won't be going very fast in that car. Going to try and take the back roads everywhere.

Thanks Rusty, unfortunately I learned that the hard way. I figured it was an easy enough task for them to install tires... Guess not. As PackardV8 suggested, "do your own work". One thing I have learned from working on my own car is, I have to be more independent. The more jobs I can do, the less work I have to put in others' hands. Then the only person I can be angry at is myself.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/8/1 0:08
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information

Posted on: 2012/8/6 15:12
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Okay....

I was inspired by the work Joey put into his wheels so, I decided to go out and try my hand at it. While pressing down on the tire I noticed a TEAR in the bead. Is this tear substantial enough to cause me some problems holding air? Does this mean I have to go back down to the "Girl scouts" at Firestone to get another tire?

P.S. Mind you, this is the tire that was going completely flat within a few minutes.

-Garrett

Attach file:

jpg  (23.00 KB)
3628_50202c819c855.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (28.20 KB)
3628_50202c8ae36a9.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (25.80 KB)
3628_50202c948be03.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2012/8/6 15:45
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
In the last pic it appears that the wheel is bent???? Not a prblem to streighten if it is.

As for the tire bead i'd say with a 70% confidence level that the tear in the bead is causing the leak. Nothing i know of can be done about a ruined bead.

Just for kix, air it up and drop it in some water. MARK THE AREA OF THE TYRE where the bead is torn. At least a 70% chance that is where it is leaking. If so then u'll have to buy a new tyre.

OR, if someone knows how to fix a torn bead (in the manner that this one is torn) then i would sure like to know.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 17:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Rim does look bent in that last photo. Lay the wheel flat on a welding table or some perfectly flat surface to check it. To hammer it out, first heat the area cherry red, then give it a few whacks with a hammer, placing it back on the table to check it after hammering. The heat will help the metal find it's original shape. Yours doesn't really look bad enough to worry about- where the bead sits on the rim is what's important.

If you have access to a balancer, put the wheel on it without a tire, and spin it to make sure the ledge where the bead sits is not out of round.

As I stated before, I went to a used tire shop and bought 225-75R15s, mounted and balanced for $40 each. My car drives great now, for the first time ever, and as soon as I blast and spray the two remaining wheels I will get two more, and it should be amazing then.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 21:21
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If that tear in the bead indicates any possible damage internally to the strength cords that form the bead of the tire, I wouldn't drive 50 feet on it. Why take a chance?

Posted on: 2012/8/7 8:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved