Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

rad splasher bolts/speednuts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Does anyone know of a source for the bolts/speednuts described in 30.87498 radiator splasher??
I had never heard of a 5/16-10 bolt used anywhere else and the speednut that Packard used is heavier duty than any other I have seen.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 20:50
 Top  Print   

Re: rad splasher bolts/speednuts
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Here is one source that might provide some clues.

The 5/16 - 10 bolts used for the splasher have an Acme (Square) thread

Spaenaur

Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The screws for the top radiator splasher and the speednuts that go on the grille bars, front fenders, and core support aren't your run-of-the-mill hardware.

I picked up several brand-new screws from Gary Thomas at Perrysburg about 15 years ago. IIRC, they looked like an Acme type thread. Can't find anything online in that regard, now.

The OE speednut (P/N 448210) was made of thicker metal, but they seem to break easily.

Fastenal shows a different type of "spring nut" with a 5/16-10 thread:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=37933

...from the Au-Ve-Co line, but not sure if the panel range is sufficient for the grille bar tabs.

Here's a listing from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/nos-5-16-10-steel-sheet-metal-screw-j-nuts-Clips-set-of-10-ten-/350584158270?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a071b83e&vxp=mtr

..that looks similar to my recollection of the OE speednut, but thinner metal (perhaps spring steel). Still concerend about the panel range.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thanks, they mention the 5/16-10 screw but don't list it.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thanks Brian, I picked up some at Perrysburg myself for Best Other. Now I would like to use same on the Caribbean. The speednut that Packard used is unlike anything else I've seen.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
looks like this

Attach file:

jpg  (11.77 KB)
23_50189675623d0.jpg 620X769 px

Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Screws I never did find. I had mine cad plated along with about all the other screws. Those few might be an option you could try with one of Caswells or Eastwoods small home kits and then give a report on how it worked.

That ebay link Brian posted is probably the closest you will find in small quantity for the speednuts. Full boxes you might even find locally at an Auveco distributor. I used a slightly different one with a longer center to folded edge but the other specs are the same as these.

The size to hole is OK at 1/2 inch and panel thickness is good for the pot metal (around .065 - .070 - tight but goes) and fine for sides which is thinner sheet metal. The issue is the top brace across radiator. That is about .120 and while they might possibly be expanded or stretched, I used the originals across there. Don't know if these will weaken or snap when stretched since the leg is so short.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.28 KB)
209_50189840e8bb4.jpg 294X215 px

Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Randy. I've used these with success. Not Packard perfect BUT useable.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.19 KB)
20_50189a4775536.jpg 1280X760 px

Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved