Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 154

Ozstatman, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

R9 OD fuse question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Blandford
See User information
My '47 Clipper had most of the overdrive wiring removed or clipped, and I am putting it back into to service with new/retro wiring from Narragansett Wiring.

I haven't been able to find answers to these question in any of the service manuals or wiring diagrams.

- Does anyone know the rating of the main fuse for the R9 overdrive system ?

- On the OD indicator light on the speedometer, is there supposed to be just one lead wire, and one wire going to a common ground on the dash ?

Thanks, as always, for your assistance !

Best regards,

Dave Blandford
cell 513-205-3188

Posted on: 2012/8/8 9:54
1947 Clipper Touring Sedan
21st Series - 2182
4 door, 3 Speed w/Overdrive, 6 cylinder
with 33,000 original miles
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=277
 Top  Print   

Re: R9 OD fuse question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It's a 30 amp fuse but not shown on this schematic. It is shown on the 48 R9 schematics. It's also a good idea to see if you can find the pieces to add the reverse safety switch per Service Counselor Vol21 #15 if yours doesn't have it.

There are two wires to the bulb and it should be in an isolated or independent socket. One wire from terminal 4 of OD relay for power when OD is on and prepped and the other wire to terminal 7 of solenoid for the contact that opens the ground side and cuts the light when it actually goes into OD. If there is not a provision for two leads, perhaps someone substituted an ordinary dash illumination lamp socket.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.79 KB)
209_50228a3269961.jpg 690X526 px

Posted on: 2012/8/8 10:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: R9 OD fuse question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Blandford
See User information
Thanks a million, Howard ! !

Best regards,

Dave B.

Posted on: 2012/8/8 11:21
1947 Clipper Touring Sedan
21st Series - 2182
4 door, 3 Speed w/Overdrive, 6 cylinder
with 33,000 original miles
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=277
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved