Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 175

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

ignition switch removal 1934
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

BillP
See User information
Suddenly and with no prior difficulty, the ignition switch fails to turn with key inserted. How can I remove the switch/cable assembly to take to locksmith for repair? 1934 1100. Thanks, BillP

Posted on: 2012/8/9 14:46
 Top  Print   

Re: ignition switch removal 1934
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

BillP
See User information
More specifically, How to remove the escutcheon or bezel from the dash face? Is there a special tool required? Is it threaded? Is it locked or pinned from turning? Can I use (gently) a pair of channellocks with the jaws wrapped in leather?

Posted on: 2012/8/10 7:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I removed mine to replace the primary wire within the shielded cable, but that was perhaps 40 years ago and I don't remember any details, but as I can recall it was a very simple job and kind of obvious how it came apart. I will go out and take a look at my 1100 and see if that refreshes my memory.

When you get it apart, if you haven't already, it's strongly suggested you also replace the primary wire that feeds the pair of coils - if it hasn't been done yet, the insulation is bound to be failing and then if the naked wire touches the shielded housing you've got a shorted ignition, a situation which has baffled more than one owner of cars with shielded coil feeds.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 8:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Bill,

As OD stated a very simple job to do. I've had mine out on a few occasions and you just turn the bezel nut anti clockwise. If it's really tight you have to grip it carefully with either a set of mole grips with the bezel nut covered in either cloth or if I remember correctly I used some very fine wet and dry paper on mine. I hope the UK terminology is the same in the States.

Good luck
Terry

Posted on: 2012/8/10 9:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Terry: congratulations on the running of the Olympics thus far, and on GB's metal count. I've enjoyed many hours of the coverage. You said you had some tickets - been to any events yet?

Your switch bezel is completely round, no flat faces, right? Sorry for the fuzzy photo, too lazy to go out and take a fresh close-up.

Attach file:

jpg  (89.10 KB)
177_50252c9ea4a18.jpg 1280X837 px

Posted on: 2012/8/10 10:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Thanks for congratulations Dave. We could only get tickets for the tennis and saw Roger Federer and Venus Williams.
Take care

Terry

Posted on: 2012/8/10 11:05
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

BillP
See User information
Yup fully smooth, the drawing in the service pages looks like a simple internally threaded nut. With no machined gripping surface or wrench (spanner) flats though, I thought maybe some magic involved. Thanks.
We went to the 96 Olympics in Atlanta, whew! Congrats to Merry Olde on a great job.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 18:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Everyone ive seen has a 1/8 dia. dowel pin hole in the DIA. Reason its there is to place a pin in ti and leverage it rotate. Make sure its tight to the hole or u can bugger up the chrome. Think there made out of brass.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 9:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BINGO!, thanks for jogging my memory. Here's a simple tool you can make to remove it without concern of damage, this one I made to remove the antenna retaining nuts on the Caribbean. The handle is just square aluminum stock, the pin is from a broken drill bit.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.54 KB)
177_50266c600b7e3.jpg 465X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/8/11 9:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved