Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

NOS Parts Hoard/Packard Taxi
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Hello Friends,
I attended my first car show last Saturday in beautiful downtown Palmer. My custom AACA signs arrived just in time. I ordered two, one for details about the Clipper and another about Packard history and firsts - very popular.
An oldtimer approached me and said he had purchased the parts inventory from the Anchorage Packard dealership and invited me to peruse the barns where they are stored. His detailed info was sketchy, but he said he had a six cylinder taxi engine still in the crate. That could be true, because several folks have told me that the local taxi comany ran Packards in the area for many years.
So, I was wondering if this turns out to be real, are the taxi engines substantially different from a passenger six and a sought after item that might justify the shipping costs to someone in the lower 48?
I won't be able to visit the place for a week or two, but I will keep folks posted on what treasures I may come across.
Mark

Posted on: 2012/8/13 16:10
 Top  Print   

Re: NOS Parts Hoard/Packard Taxi
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
keep my 214 number 373 programmed 7155 on your phone. speed dial me when on site and I will provide ID service which will make your trip successful.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 17:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Mark:

If it is a long block it is the same motor. And probably the same for a unit replacement engine. Except for the motor number. They had some hubub about special crankcase ventilation, but that is probably more Packard bull. They could lay on the bull when they wanted. You know things like "The most advanced automatic transmission ever with lighting smooth quick shifting Ultramatic."

An NOS anything will run much better than old rebuilt blocks, so regardless of displacement, it is special.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 17:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Strange day in Packard-land. Went to the Post Office to get mail. The only other Packard within 50 miles had its hood up - dead battery. Went home, got the Clipper and jump started the 1952 convertible. Of course I forgot the camera. I actually had someone convinced that only another Packard could jump start another Packard. You know, that special negative ground, six volt electicity.

Anyway, the other Packard owner had tried to buy some parts from the aforementioned parts hoarder. It was not a pleasant experience. Sounds like the hoarder puts a premium even on the most common and replaceable parts.
I will still give it a try and see what this guy has. I really don't need much, so we shall see.

Mark

Posted on: 2012/8/13 22:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved